Calculate rpm with circular motion

In summary, NASA is planning to build a large donut-shaped space station that will rotate in outer space in order to simulate gravity. If the station has a radius of 200m, its rotation speed must be 12.65m/s in order to produce an artificial gravity of 0.8g.
Workout

Homework Statement

Imagine that NASA plans to builds a large donut-shaped space station. The station will rotate in outer space in order to simulate gravity. If the station has a radius of 200m, what must be its rotation speed in revolutions per minute, to produce an artificial gravity of 0.8 g?

Homework Equations

ac=v^2/r
rev/min = 60v/2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have somewhere in my notes that if ac = g then T = 0. So I replaced ac with 0.8. So my equation went 0.8 = v^2/(200m).

So I got my v = 12.65 m/s.

Then I plugged my v into rev/min at 60(v)/2pi*r and I got my answer to be 0.604 rev/min.

I was just wondering if I did this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Workout said:
Okay, so I have somewhere in my notes that if ac = g then T = 0.
What does T refer to here? Is that relevant to the space station?
So I replaced ac with 0.8.
0.8 what?
So my equation went 0.8 = v^2/(200m).

So I got my v = 12.65 m/s.

Then I plugged my v into rev/min at 60(v)/2pi*r and I got my answer to be 0.604 rev/min.

I was just wondering if I did this right?
... well, if you look at your calculation, checking the units, v=12.65m/s means a=0.8m/s2.
Is that the correct acceleration?

How do I solve for rpm? I think my v is correct.

Well, since you are sure you have the correct v...
You can either convert your v into angular velocity or work out the circumference of your circle and how many times you'd travel that distance at speed v in one minute.

However, if you don't answer questions I cannot help you.
i.e. is 0.8g, the acceleration you are asked to get, the same as 0.8m/s2 - which is the acceleration you used to get v?

Your approach and calculations are correct. To summarize, you have correctly used the equation for centripetal acceleration (ac = v^2/r) and equated it to the desired artificial gravity (0.8 g). From there, you solved for the velocity (v) and then plugged it into the equation for revolutions per minute (rev/min = 60v/2pi*r) to get your final answer. Great job!

What is rpm and how is it related to circular motion?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute and it is a unit of measurement for rotational speed. It is often used to describe the speed of objects that are moving in a circular motion, such as wheels or gears.

How do you calculate rpm with circular motion?

RPM can be calculated by dividing the angular velocity (measured in radians per second) by 2π and multiplying it by 60. The formula is RPM = (ω / 2π) * 60, where ω is the angular velocity.

What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is expressed in radians per second. Linear velocity, on the other hand, measures the rate of change in an object's position over time and is expressed in meters per second.

Can rpm be negative?

Yes, rpm can be negative if the direction of rotation is opposite to the direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if an object is rotating clockwise and the reference point is set to measure counterclockwise rotations as positive, then the rpm would be negative.

How does radius affect rpm?

The radius of an object affects its rpm in a direct relationship. A larger radius will result in a higher rpm for the same angular velocity, while a smaller radius will result in a lower rpm for the same angular velocity.