Calculate Savings with VFD on MUA Units

• Thread starter thebigjg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the individual is trying to calculate the savings in air flow and temperature differential between the outside and inside of a building. They need to make assumptions about the efficency of heating and the cost of gas, and they also need weather data to get more accurate results.
thebigjg
Im am trying to figureout how to calculate savings using a VFD -
Variable Frequincy(Speed) Drive

Direct energy savings easy

I am trying to Calculate the savings in AIR FLOW/+/Air temp-differerance

Not exausting 75'F air outside at say 10,000 CFM - And not bringing in 30'F Air in the winter at the same CFM's

I am not looking for a direct answer I am am looking for equations/examples? such as. Cost to heat 1 CF of Air per Degree F , Without going into too much detail I can use some assumptions (efficency of heating sorce etc.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
?

What are the ?? for

what don't you understand ?

I figured it all out :smile:

Basically assume 10,000 CFM Fan

Values
Total CFM 10,000

Tatal CF - Day 14,400,000

1 CF air = 0.075 lbs 1,080,000

To heat 1 lbs air = 0.24
BTU's per Degree ferinhight A) 259,200

Delta T (Temp Change) B) 50

BTU's Per day A*B 12,960,000

1000 BTU = 1 Cubic foot gas 12,960

1 cubic metre = 0.0283 cubic foot 366.77

Cost Per cubic metre of gas $0.50

Air cost per day for
10,000 CFM fan Using Gas $183.38

BOOH YEAH

That looks pretty good, yeah. The difficulty is in getting more precise - you need weather data to know what the actual delta-T is on an hourly basis. I use a piece of software called Binmaker: http://www.interenergysoftware.com/binM/pro/BMPAbout.htm

Luckily your calculations make more sense than your grammar. Yes though, your calcs look decent.

Well I am sorry MINGER that my grammer is not up to par with yours :frown: - Actually I could care less :-p

But thank you for the reply's

And if I wanted to be really specific I am pritty sure I would also need to take into account the moisture/humidity , the efficiency of the heating sorce , Envelope of the building , Solar heat ...

Thanks for that info on that BIN program all take a look at it.

That was much better, good luck!

Related to Calculate Savings with VFD on MUA Units

1. How do I calculate savings with a VFD on MUA units?

To calculate savings with a VFD on MUA units, you will need to gather data on the current energy usage and cost of your MUA units. Then, you will need to estimate the energy savings that would result from installing a VFD. Finally, you can use a savings calculator or consult an expert to determine the overall cost savings and payback period for the VFD installation.

2. What factors affect the savings from using a VFD on MUA units?

The savings from using a VFD on MUA units can be affected by various factors such as the size and efficiency of the MUA units, the type of VFD being used, the load and duty cycle of the MUA units, and the cost of energy in your area. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating potential savings.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a VFD on MUA units?

While VFDs can offer significant energy savings, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These may include higher initial costs for the VFD installation, increased maintenance requirements, and potential compatibility issues with older MUA units. It is important to weigh these potential drawbacks against the potential energy savings before making a decision.

4. Can a VFD be retrofitted onto existing MUA units?

In most cases, a VFD can be retrofitted onto an existing MUA unit. However, it is important to consult with an expert to determine the compatibility and feasibility of the installation. Depending on the age and condition of the MUA unit, it may require modifications or upgrades to work efficiently with a VFD.

5. How long does it typically take to see a return on investment for a VFD on MUA units?

The time it takes to see a return on investment for a VFD on MUA units can vary depending on factors such as the cost of energy, the efficiency of the MUA units, and the size and type of VFD being used. However, in most cases, a VFD installation can pay for itself within 1-2 years through energy savings. It is important to calculate the specific payback period for your situation before making a decision.