Calculate Strain of a Cable: 10-m Long w/ 25-N Sign

  • Thread starter Thread starter pippintook
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cable Strain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
pippintook
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
A 10-m long cable has a "No Hippos in the Pool" sign weighing 25-N suspended from the middle of the cable. The cable stretches by 2.5 cm. What is the strain in the cable?

I know strain is ΔL/L0, but don't really know how that plays out in this scenario. If you could give me the first step or so, that'd be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pippintook said:
A 10-m long cable has a "No Hippos in the Pool" sign weighing 25-N suspended from the middle of the cable. The cable stretches by 2.5 cm. What is the strain in the cable?

I know strain is ΔL/L0, but don't really know how that plays out in this scenario. If you could give me the first step or so, that'd be great!

ΔL/Lo is strain, so it looks to me like that's all you need to do.

Strain is a measure of geometrical deformation right?
 
Well, my problem is more how I find L than how to find strain I guess.
 
pippintook said:
Well, my problem is more how I find L than how to find strain I guess.

It's not 10m ?
 
Draw a FBD showing the sagging cable and do a bit of geometry.