Calculate Tension in String for 1.49 kg Mass with 3.1 m/s2 Acceleration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Amel
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.49 kg mass is suspended from a string which is pulled upward. The mass accelerates upwards with an acceleration of 3.10 m/s2. What is the tension in the string?


Homework Equations



Fnet= T + Fg =ma

so

T = m(a + g)


The Attempt at a Solution



Ok so I pluged in the numbers

T = (1.49kg)(3.1m/s2+(9.89m/s2)

and I got 19.221 kN but its wrong.

The title for this is wrong I was going to ask another question originally.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
3.1 m/s^2 is accelerating the mass upwards. Ask yourself, what direction is the 9.81 m/s^2 acting in? Draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the mass.

Thanks
Matt
 
I know gravity is downwards but there is a problem in the book just like this and this is how they get to that equation.

T + Fg = ma

so since Fg is negative

T - mg =ma

T = ma+mg

T = m(a+g)

I know that gravity was negative but that's why they added mg over to the other side.
 
Yes, sorry I looked right past that. Not sure where you went wrong then. Are you close to the correct answer?

Thanks
Matt
 
It just says 19.221 kN is wrong it doesen't tell me anything else. Are my units right? I don't get why I am getting this wrong.
 
The units are correct. N = kg*m/s^2.

Not sure why it isn't right. Maybe someone can help us both out. LOL

Thanks
Matt
 
I was getting it wrong because I was putting kN instead of N. I missed that the book converted their answer to kN, Thanks I needed to see N = kg*m/s^2 to catch my mistake.