Calculate the bias of the estimator

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter dynas7y
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bias
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
dynas7y
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Suppose that Y_1,...,Y_n is a random sample where the density of each random variable Y_i is f(y) = 2*x^2*y^(-3), y >= x for some parameter x > 1. Let x^hat := min{Y_1,...,Y_n}.

I figured out that the pdf for the minimum order statistic is n*[f(y)]*[1-F(y)]^(n-1).

Also I think that 1-F(y) = Integrate[2*x^2*t^(-3), t, y, Infinity] = x^2*y^(-2)

Plugging this into the pdf for the first order statistic, we have n*[2*x^2*y^(-3)]*[x^2*y^(-2)]^(n-1).

Now to find the bias we have that B(x^hat) = E(x^hat) - x

So I think E(x^hat) = Integrate[y*n*[2*x^2*y^(-3)]*[x^2*y^(-2)]^(n-1), y, x, Infinity].

This is where I am running into problems because I am finding it very difficult to get a "nice" integral here, in fact, using the limits of integration I have listed, I'm getting an indeterminant form so I'm guessing that this might be the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about the integral

[tex]\int_x^\infty {y n 2 x^2 y^{-3} ( x^2 y^{-2})^{n-1} dy[/tex]

[tex]= 2 n x^{2n} \int_x^\infty y^{-2n} dy[/tex]
 
Stephen Tashi said:
Are you asking about the integral

[tex]\int_x^\infty {y n 2 x^2 y^{-3} ( x^2 y^{-2})^{n-1} dy[/tex]

[tex]= 2 n x^{2n} \int_x^\infty y^{-2n} dy[/tex]

I was, but I actually was able to get the answer. Thank you.