Calculating a Telescope's Limiting Magnitude

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Ishtar_UK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating a specific telescope's limiting magnitude, taking into account factors such as magnification, the telescope's transmission coefficient, and the observer's pupil size. The standard limiting magnitude calculation is mentioned, but it does not consider the darkening effects of magnification. The conversation also mentions a modified equation, but it does not seem to work reliably. The participants suggest using an online calculator or referencing a specific article for more details on the topic.
Ishtar_UK
Hello Everyone

I'm new to this community so I hope that I have posted this question to the correct forum. If not, please advise on the best forum for my question.

Recently, I have been trying to find a reliable formula to calculate a specific telescope's limiting magnitude while factoring magnification, the telescopes transmission coefficient and the observers dilated pupil size. It's clear that higher magnifications darken the sky and so increase contrast (which has the effect of increasing the limiting magnitude). Also, the observers pupil size has a substantial effect too and thus must be taken into account.

The standard limiting magnitude calculation can be expressed as:

LM = 2.5 * LOG10( (Aperture / Pupil_Size)2 ) + NELM

But obviously this does not take into account the darkening effects of magnification. After reading the Wikipedia page on Limiting Magnitude I came up with the following equation.

LM = (NELM - 2) + 2.5 LOG10( ((Aperture / Pupil_Size)2) * power)

However, the equation above is exaggerating answer. In fact, it is about two magnitudes too high. I am also not sure why the Wikipedia article was suggested subtracting 2 from the NELM, but without it, the answer is even further out.

I did some further digging around and managed to come up with the following equation which does give a reliable limiting magnitude while factoring the telescopes transmission but does not include the observers pupil size.

Stage One

Darkening_Factor =
28.57 - 2.814 * NELM + 0.369 * NELM2 + 5 * LOG10( power / (aperture * √ transmission_coefficient) )

Stage Two

LM =
-22.81 + 1.792 * Darkening_Factor - 0.02949 * Darkening_Factor2 + 2.5 * LOG10( Aperture2 ) * transmission_coefficient)

As stated above, this seems to work well but does not include the observers pupil size. I have played around with the equation by doing the following but sadly this does not seem to work. Also, I am not sure what all those constants mean in stage one and two.

Stage Two - Modified: Does NOT Work

LM =
-22.81 + 1.792 * Darkening_Factor - 0.02949 * Darkening_Factor2 + 2.5 * LOG10( (Aperture / pupil_size)2) * transmission_coefficient)

I would be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I believe I am nearly there, that is, aside from reliably including the observers pupil size.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Amanda

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you Chronos

I am aware of the online calculator, I've been using it to test my calculations. However, for various reasons, want to make these calculations myself. I will take a look at the Limiting Magnitude article; it looks just what I am looking for.

Many Thanks
Amanda

What is a telescope's limiting magnitude?

A telescope's limiting magnitude is the faintest magnitude (or brightness) of an object that can be seen with that particular telescope. It is often used as a measure of the telescope's ability to gather and focus light.

How is a telescope's limiting magnitude calculated?

The telescope's limiting magnitude is calculated by taking into account the telescope's aperture (or diameter), focal length, and light-gathering power. The formula used is: limiting magnitude = 2.5 * log (telescope aperture in cm) + 2.5 * log (telescope focal length in cm).

What factors affect a telescope's limiting magnitude?

Several factors can affect a telescope's limiting magnitude. These include atmospheric conditions, light pollution, telescope quality and design, and the observer's visual acuity.

What is the significance of a telescope's limiting magnitude?

The limiting magnitude of a telescope is an important measure of its capabilities. A telescope with a lower limiting magnitude can see fainter objects, making it more powerful and versatile for astronomical observations.

How can a telescope's limiting magnitude be improved?

To improve a telescope's limiting magnitude, you can increase its aperture and focal length, reduce light pollution and atmospheric interference, and use high-quality optics and filters. Additionally, improving your own visual acuity through practice and training can also help in observing faint objects.