Calculating Break-Even Point of Muon-Catalyzed Fusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter xinlan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
xinlan
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



When discussing attempts to make any type of fusion into a workable power source, an important concept is the "break-even" point. The break-even point is reached when the fusion process generates as much energy as was initially put in (i.e., the energy output equals the energy input). The rest energy of a muon is 106 MeV. If this is the only energy input necessary to initiate muon-catalyzed fusion, how many reactions must a muon catalyze to attain the break-even point?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



from the previous question, I got the energy per reaction is 17.6 MeV
so, the number of reactions needed = 106 / 17.6 = 6 reactions
but the feedback says that "This is very close to releasing the same amount of energy as was input, but we want more energy than was input."
I'm totally confused..

please help me..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the real answer is 6.022,
I already rounded up to 6..
 
xinlan said:
the real answer is 6.022,
I already rounded up to 6..

No, you rounded down. ;)
 
Based on your answer, I guess they just wanted more significant figures. We didn't use these computer things when I was in school. We just used books, pencil, and paper. :)