zy
- 9
- 0
I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks
There are 9 square feet per square yard. You might also consider that the carpet company may round up the figure because of scrap. You carpet for instance could have been cut from a piece 30 feet by 12 feet. This would have left a couple of pieces only 1 foot wide that they would be unable to use elsewhere so you would likely be charged for them as well.zy said:I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks
Wherever did I deny that 1 square foot=1/9 square yard?C1ay said:Yes 1/3 of a linear yard is one foot but the question is about area. Now, isn't 1 sq. ft = 1/9 of a sq. yard?
You should pay somewhat above 200 dollars, I think..zy said:so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if that's right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars
He may have charged you for a full 30 x 12 foot piece at $278. Did you notice if he has a minimum, like 40 or 50 sq. yards? Some of the carpet houses here have a minimum on the installation because they don't want to install small amounts like 5 yards unless it is worth the trip.zy said:Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.
I think carpet comes on a 12 foot roll. If this is true I cannot imagine why they would not charge for a full cut across since the remaining edge piece would be a waste. As for the 29 feet they may charge by the even yard only of which the next increment is 30 feet or 10 yards. I have even noticd this at some fabric stores. I don't know that any of this is the case in your case, I'm just suggesting reasons you might look for. The easiest solution is just to call the store and ask them to explain the bill.zy said:I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!