Calculating Charge Flows in Chemical Cells: How Much Zinc Reacts per Second?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
pizza1512
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this question? Which steps should I take in solving this question?

Chemical cells can produce quite large charge flows for substantial times before their chemicals have all reacted. If zinc is the metal losing electrons under chemical attack, what mass of zinc is reacting per second to produce this current of 0.2A? (remember that each zinc atom loses 1 electrons to become a [tex]Zn^2+[/tex] ion.

Homework Equations


  1. [tex]Current = \frac{Charge}{time}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So far this is what I have done:

I know that 0.2A = 0.2C/sec. If we divide this by 1.6[tex]\times 10^{-19}[/tex], we obtain the number of electrons being discharged.

What else should I do next?
:shy:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pizza1512 said:
Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this question? Which steps should I take in solving this question?

Chemical cells can produce quite large charge flows for substantial times before their chemicals have all reacted. If zinc is the metal losing electrons under chemical attack, what mass of zinc is reacting per second to produce this current of 0.2A? (remember that each zinc atom loses 1 electrons to become a [tex]Zn^2+[/tex] ion.

Homework Equations


  1. [tex]Current = \frac{Charge}{time}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So far this is what I have done:

I know that 0.2A = 0.2C/sec. If we divide this by 1.6[tex]\times 10^{-19}[/tex], we obtain the number of electrons being discharged.

What else should I do next?
:shy:

That would be electrons per second. What would half of that be?