Calculating Clebsch Gordon Coefficients

In summary, the Clebsch Gordon coefficients of 1/2 \otimes 1 = 3/2 \oplus 1/2 are real and only exist if j is between j1-j2 and j1+j2. They are given in terms of the coefficients in the expansion of j m, j_1 j_2 \rangle.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Find the Clebsch Gordon coefficients of [tex] 1/2 \otimes 1 = 3/2 \oplus 1/2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

We have some properties of the CG coefficients which might be useful:

1) they are nonzero only if j is between j1-j2 and j1+j2
2) m = m1+m2 for nonzero coefficients
3) they are real

The Attempt at a Solution

I am horribly confused. I know that the CG coefficients are given as the coefficients in the expansion

[tex] |j m, j_1 j_2 \rangle = \sum_{m_1} \sum_{m_2} | j_1 m_1, j_2 m_2 \rangle \langle j_1 m_1, j_2 m_2| jm, j_1 j_2\rangle [/tex]

or

[tex] \langle j_1 m_1, j_2 m_2 | j m \rangle [/tex]

and I know that the possible |j m j1 j2> states are for the product space with j1 = 1, j2 = 1/2:

[tex] | \frac{3}{2} \frac{3}{2} ,1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle, | \frac{3}{2} \frac{1}{2},1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle, | \frac{3}{2} \frac{-1}{2} ,1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle, | \frac{3}{2}\frac{-3}{2} ,1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle, | \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2} ,1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle, | \frac{1}{2} \frac{-1}{2} ,1 \frac{1}{2} \rangle [/tex]

but I don't understand what on Earth to do or where to even start. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You usually just look them up in a table. I hope your assignment doesn't want you to actually derive them. Also, I am a bit confused on your notation in the first sentence.

Yes, I think the notation is what's confusing me. I computed some of the coefficients a couple of years ago in an undergraduate class, but I've never seen this notation. I guess what the author means is to find the coefficients for all the basis kets in the product space where j1 = 1/2, j2 =1. There are (2*j1+1)*(2j2+1)=6 such kets.

I actually have figured it out - but boy, I think Shankar has weird notation... :yuck:

All one needs do is to start with the maximal possible z component, and apply lowering operators for each given j value, along with applying orthogonality and normalization conditions. A bit tricky but doable...

Start with the [itex]| 3/2\mbox{ }3/2 \rangle[/itex] state. You know that it has to correspond to [itex]|1/2\mbox{ }1/2; 1\mbox{ }1\rangle[/itex]. Then apply the lowering operator to get [itex]| 3/2\mbox{ }1/2 \rangle[/itex], and so on.Edit: Oh sure, figure it out right before I post! ;)

Thanks anyway! It's good to know that my solution wasn't just pure nonsense :-)

1. What are Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and why are they important in calculations?

Clebsch-Gordon coefficients are mathematical constants that are used to calculate quantum mechanical properties of composite systems. They are important because they allow us to easily determine the total angular momentum and other important quantum numbers of a system by combining the individual angular momenta of its components.

2. How are Clebsch-Gordon coefficients calculated?

Clebsch-Gordon coefficients are calculated using a special mathematical formula called the Racah formula. This formula takes into account the quantum numbers of the individual components and the total quantum numbers of the composite system.

3. Can Clebsch-Gordon coefficients be negative?

Yes, Clebsch-Gordon coefficients can be negative. These negative values represent the relative phase or orientation of the individual angular momenta in the composite system.

4. How are Clebsch-Gordon coefficients used in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch-Gordon coefficients are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the total angular momentum and other important quantum numbers of composite systems. They are also used in the study of atomic and molecular structure, as well as in nuclear physics.

5. Are there any applications of Clebsch-Gordon coefficients outside of physics?

Clebsch-Gordon coefficients have also found applications in other fields, such as computer science and signal processing. They are used in image and video compression algorithms, as well as in the analysis of data from sensors and other measurement devices.