Calculating dimensions of power

In summary: That's because they are both measured in meters.In summary, the homework statement says that to calculate the basic dimensions of power using MLT notation, you need to know the .5 mass*velocity^2 component.
fran1942

Homework Statement

Calculate basic dimensions of power using MLT notation.

2. Given information:
E= P*t
E= .5*mass*velocity^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging E=Pt to P=E/t
a) P = (.5 mass * velocity^2) / seconds * seconds^2
b) P = (.5 kg * metres^2) / seconds^3
c) moving to one line: .5 kg * metres^2 * seconds ^-3

However I know I have the .5 component wrong. It should not be there. Can someone please point out where I have gone wrong ?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate basic dimensions of power using MLT notation.

2. Given information:
E= P*t
E= .5*mass*velocity^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging E=Pt to P=E/t
a) P = (.5 mass * velocity^2) / seconds * seconds^2
b) P = (.5 kg * metres^2) / seconds^3
c) moving to one line: .5 kg * metres^2 * seconds ^-3

However I know I have the .5 component wrong. It should not be there. Can someone please point out where I have gone wrong ?
Thanks for any help.

Energy is the capacity to do work, where work = force * the distance through which the force is applied. The work-energy theorem says that work done to a body equals its change in energy. When the change is energy is manifested as a change in speed, we say the kinetic energy has changed, and the formula of kinetic energy is 0.5mv2.

The easy answer is that you are looking for units, which means you don't need to pay attention to the 0.5. The units of energy are kg*m2/s2. But that's not very satisfying.

When the work is done against an attractive or repulsive force, we say he potential energy changes. PE = mgh.

You could avoid introducing the 0.5 by starting with the formula for work or for potential energy.

Simple, quick answer: when you're just figuring out units, ignore the numbers in the formula.

Simple example:
diameter = 2 x radius​
Both diameter and radius are measured in meters. We do not say that if the radius is measured in m, then the diameter must be measured in units of 2 m.

What is the concept of power?

The concept of power is the ability to influence or control the behavior of others, either through force or persuasion. It can also refer to the ability to achieve goals and make decisions.

How is power calculated?

The calculation of power involves determining the amount of work done (or energy transferred) per unit of time. It is calculated by dividing the work or energy by the time it takes to do the work.

What are the different types of power?

The five types of power are coercive power, reward power, legitimate power, referent power, and expert power. Coercive power is based on fear, reward power is based on incentives, legitimate power is based on authority, referent power is based on charisma, and expert power is based on knowledge and skills.

How does power affect relationships?

Power can have a significant impact on relationships, as it can create imbalances and lead to conflict or manipulation. In healthy relationships, power is shared and used responsibly, while in unhealthy relationships, power can be abused and cause harm.

What factors influence the dimensions of power?

There are several factors that can influence the dimensions of power, including social status, wealth, education, gender, race, and cultural norms. Additionally, the context and situation can also play a role in determining the dimensions of power.