Calculating Earth Masses in a Planet with Earth-Size and Moon-Density

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brianh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Planet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
brianh
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
"Earth Masses"

I've been stuck on a problem for a few days now, and I know that it is a lot easier than I am making it out to be. My goal is to find how many Earth masses lie within a planet who has the same size as Earth, and the same density as the moon.

I honestly do not know how to go about this problem. Could anybody give me any guiding tips?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org


density is mass per unit volume

an object the same size as Earth has the same volume as earth

define your unit volume as one Earth volume
 


compare densities of Earth and moon ... that's almost all in a way! :biggrin: