Calculating energies for a nuclear reaction?

In summary, the energy required for a nuclear reaction can be determined using the equation E=mc2 and the known masses of the particles involved. In the example given, the gamma ray energy of 6.8MeV can be calculated by converting the mass difference between Hg198, Hg197, and neutron into energy. This can be found using a table of isotope masses or by searching online.
tomsthename
So I was doing physics homework today, and wound up spending a couple hours on wikipedia, browsing through topics far out of my league- particularly nuclear physics. I'm left with an aching question that I hope someone here can help me out with.

In a nuclear reaction that requires a certain energy to occur, how do you determine what this energy is? Can it be done mathematically or is it purely experimental? For example, in this reaction (don't worry I'm not a wannabe alchemist... just an example that stuck out in my mind)
Mercury 198 + 6.8MeV gamma ray => neutron + Mercury 197

How can you tell that the gamma ray energy needs to be 6.8MeV?

Thanks in advance. Hope to stick around here.

Physics news on Phys.org
tomsthename said:
So I was doing physics homework today, and wound up spending a couple hours on wikipedia, browsing through topics far out of my league- particularly nuclear physics. I'm left with an aching question that I hope someone here can help me out with.

In a nuclear reaction that requires a certain energy to occur, how do you determine what this energy is? Can it be done mathematically or is it purely experimental? For example, in this reaction (don't worry I'm not a wannabe alchemist... just an example that stuck out in my mind)
Mercury 198 + 6.8MeV gamma ray => neutron + Mercury 197

How can you tell that the gamma ray energy needs to be 6.8MeV?

Thanks in advance. Hope to stick around here.
Start with E=mc2. The masses of Hg198, Hg197, and neutron are all known. The mass difference (Hg197 + n - Hg198) converted into energy gives the energy of the gamma ray.

1. How do you calculate the energy release for a nuclear reaction?

The energy release for a nuclear reaction can be calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E represents the energy release, m is the mass difference between the reactants and products, and c is the speed of light.

2. What factors influence the energy release in a nuclear reaction?

The energy release in a nuclear reaction is influenced by several factors, including the mass and stability of the nuclei involved, the type of reaction (fission or fusion), and the kinetic energy of the particles involved.

3. How do you determine the energy released in a nuclear fission reaction?

The energy released in a nuclear fission reaction can be determined by calculating the mass difference between the original nucleus and the resulting nuclei after the reaction. This mass difference is then converted into energy using Einstein's equation, E=mc^2.

4. Can the energy released in a nuclear reaction be controlled?

Yes, the energy released in a nuclear reaction can be controlled by adjusting the conditions of the reaction, such as the amount and type of fuel used, the temperature, and the presence of moderators or control rods.

5. How do you calculate the energy released in a nuclear fusion reaction?

The energy released in a nuclear fusion reaction can be calculated by determining the mass difference between the reactants and products, and then converting this mass difference into energy using Einstein's equation, E=mc^2. However, due to the complexity of fusion reactions, precise calculations are difficult and often rely on experimental data.