Calculating error when constant is divided by variable

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating uncertainty in a formula with variables and a constant. It is mentioned that the relative uncertainty on y is the same as the relative uncertainty on x and that calculus can be used to propagate error through a function. However, combining two errors requires knowledge of the error distribution. The term "absolute certainty" is used to distinguish it from "relative uncertainty".
akzo
Hello everyone,

I have a very simple question but for some reason, I couldn't find the exact answer to it on the internet.
Let's say we have a formula y = k/x where k is constant and x and y are variables. Assume that I am given the absolute uncertainty in x how should I calculate the uncertainty in y?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relative uncertainty on y is the same as the relative uncertainty on x.

Likes akzo
akzo said:
Assume that I am given the absolute uncertainty in x how should I calculate the uncertainty in y?

Are you using the term "uncertainty" to mean the standard deviation of a random variable? Or are you using "uncertainty" to mean a definite bound without any implication of a probability being involved? (For example, compare the different sets of "rules" given in notes: http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/exper_techniques/2.Propagation_of_Uncertaint.pdf rules 1&2 vs rules 3&4 )

Is the phrase "absolute certainty" used because you wish to distinguish it from "relative uncertainty" ?

If you know calculus, just calculate dy/dx and replace dx by your uncertainty in x. This is a general trick you can use to propagate an error through a function. It won't help you to combine two errors though. You need some knowledge of the error distribution for that.

1. What is the formula for calculating error when a constant is divided by a variable?

The formula for calculating error when a constant is divided by a variable is: error = (constant/error) x 100%. This formula is used to determine the percentage error when dividing a constant value by a variable value.

2. Why is calculating error important when dealing with a constant divided by a variable?

Calculating error is important when dealing with a constant divided by a variable because it gives us an indication of the accuracy and precision of our results. It allows us to see how much the calculated value may differ from the true value.

3. How do you interpret the calculated error when a constant is divided by a variable?

The calculated error when a constant is divided by a variable is typically expressed as a percentage. A positive error value indicates that the calculated value is higher than the true value, while a negative error value indicates that the calculated value is lower than the true value. The closer the error value is to 0%, the more accurate the calculation is.

4. Can you give an example of calculating error when a constant is divided by a variable?

For example, if a constant value of 10 is divided by a variable value of 5, the calculation would be: error = (10/5) x 100% = 200%. This means that the calculated value is 200% higher than the true value, indicating a larger margin of error.

5. How can you reduce the error when a constant is divided by a variable?

To reduce the error when a constant is divided by a variable, we can increase the precision of our measurements and calculations. This can be achieved by using more accurate instruments, taking multiple measurements, and using more precise mathematical techniques.