Error propagation and symmetric errors

In summary, the conversation discussed the interpretation of symmetric error in error propagation. It was noted that if a variable, such as v, has a normally distributed error, then the associated error on another variable, E, will also be normally distributed. However, when plugging in specific numbers, the associated uncertainties may not be symmetric. This is because there is a difference between relative uncertainties and uncertainties, and if one is symmetric, the other may not be. It was suggested to use clear notation, such as using σv for an uncertainty rather than dv to avoid confusion with derivatives.
Malamala
Hello! I am a bit confused about how to interpret symmetric error when doing error propagation. For example, if I have ##E = \frac{mv^2}{2}##, and I do error propagation I get ##\frac{dE}{E} = 2\frac{dv}{v}##. Which implies that if I have v being normally distributed, and hence having a symmetric error (by this I mean that the upper and lower limit of the uncertainty interval in the value is the same), the same is true for E, as that formula is predicting just one ##dE## and people would quote (at least in most of the papers I read) it as ##E \pm dE##. However if I have say, ##E = 1000## eV, ##dE = 100## eV, ##m = 100## amu and I calculate the associated speed, I get, for ##E = 1000## eV, ##v = 43926## m/s, for ##E = 1100## eV, ##v = 46070## m/s and for ##E = 900## eV, ##v = 41672## m/s and as you can see, the associated uncertainties on v are not symmetric. So how should I think of the symmetric uncertainty given when doing error propagation, as when plugging in the numbers this is not the case. Doesn't it mean that if I have a symmetric (gaussian) error on ##v## the error on ##E## will not be symmetric? And is this not the case most of the time, except when there is a linear relationship between the variables? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to decide if you are going to analyze and report relative uncertainties or uncertainties. You are confusing things by mixing them. ##\sigma_v## is the uncertainty in ##v## and ##\frac{\sigma_v}{v}## is the relative uncertainty in ##v##. If one is symmetric then the other is usually not, so you need to be clear about what you are saying is symmetric.

By the way, I would not use ##dv## for an uncertainty, I would use ##\sigma_v##. Your notation risks lots of confusion with derivatives.

1. What is error propagation?

Error propagation refers to the process of calculating the uncertainty or error in a final result based on the uncertainties in the measured values used to obtain that result. It involves propagating or carrying through the uncertainties in each individual measurement to the final result.

2. What are symmetric errors?

Symmetric errors refer to uncertainties that are the same in both the positive and negative direction. This means that the uncertainty range on one side of the measured value is equal to the uncertainty range on the other side.

3. How are symmetric errors represented?

Symmetric errors are often represented as plus/minus values, where the uncertainty is given as a positive value that is added or subtracted from the measured value to determine the range of possible values. For example, a measured value of 10 +/- 2 would have a range of possible values from 8 to 12.

4. How are symmetric errors calculated?

Symmetric errors are calculated by taking the average of the positive and negative uncertainties. This means that the uncertainty is divided in half and added/subtracted to the measured value to determine the range of possible values.

5. Why are symmetric errors important?

Symmetric errors are important because they provide a way to quantify the uncertainty in a measurement or result. By understanding the range of possible values, we can better assess the reliability and accuracy of our data and make more informed decisions based on the results.