Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating force we need to turn

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    Hello

I have a cylinder that diameter is 60 mm,length is 500 mm and this is approximately 11 kg .If i want to move the cylinder,how much force do i need to move?
    How i calculate this kind of cylinders?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2
    are you rolling it? or is it sliding on it's circular face? what material is it being pushed on?

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3
    yes,it is being rolled and if u want to learn about friction value,it doesn't matter.

5. Dec 1, 2012 #4
    well, if no friction, and perfectly flat surface, I don't think you need very much force at all. it's so precariously balanced on a hard line, that it should fall forward (roll) at the slightest push.

rolling resistance is your weight (lbs or newtons(kgs*9.81)) multiplied by your rolling resistance coeff. If no rolling resistance coefficient than no force to overcome that roll.

6. Dec 1, 2012 #5
    Thanx huntoon :), you say that we use this formula ( F=m.a) .

7. Dec 1, 2012 #6
    I didn't say that. I said the force you need to roll something is it's weight * its rolling resistance coeff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook