Calculating Frequency of Absorbed Electromagnetic Radiation in Bohr Atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
GLprincess02
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
The energy (in joules) of an electron energy level in the Bohr atom is given by the expression: [tex]E_{n}[/tex]= -2.179 x [tex]10^-18/n^2 J[/tex]where n is the principal quantum number for the energy level. What is the frequency in Hz of the electromagnetic radiation absorbed when an electron is raised up from level with n = 4 to that with n = 9?

I'm unsure of the the formula to use, or even the first step. Any ideas??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First use your formula to calculate the energy difference between the two levels. Second, relate that to frequency. Look in your book for the formula giving energy of a photon (hint: it involves Planck's constant). You can show us what you get if you still have questions.
 
use the equation [tex]\Delta E = R_{H}^{*} (\frac{1}{n_{f}^{2}} - \frac{1}{n_{i}^{2}}) = hv[/tex]
 
Ok, so I plugged both of the numbers (4 and 9) into the equation. Then I subtracted answer #1 from answer #2. Then I divided this number by h (6.626E-34). Am I doing this correctly?
 
Great I got the answer, thanks for all the help!