Calculating how much solvent is needed to dilute 1.5M of Cu(NO3)2

• Thread starter Cee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the conversation is about diluting 250ml of 1.5M Cu(NO3)2 solution to 0.5M using distilled water. The equation C1xV1=C2xV2 is used to calculate the volume of solvent needed, which is 750mL. However, there is confusion about whether this is the total volume of the solution or just the volume of solvent to be added. The concentration in M refers to the number of molecules per liter of solution.
Cee
Hello,

I just want to make sure that my calculations are correct before doing an experiment. I need to dilute 250ml of 1.5M Cu(NO3)2 to 0.5M and distilled water is to be used as the solvent. So I'm not sure how much (volume) of distilled water need to be added.

I used the equation C1xV1=C2xV2
where C1=1.5M
V1=250mL
C2=0.5M
V2=?
so

1.5x250=0.5xV2
V2=750mL

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right because I'm not sure if the 750mL is the volume of the solvent that is to be added to the 250mL of Cu(NO3)2 to make the concentration 0.5M or if 750mL is the final volume of the Cu(NO3)2...

I really need to know how to change the concentration, any help would be greatly appreciated please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The big M stands for mol/L. As you probably know, a mole is a measure of the number of molecules, so the concentration in M basically tells you something about the number of molecules per liter of solution. So initially you have 250 mL of 1.5 mol/L solution, which means that there is 0.250 L x 1.5 mol/L = 0.375 mol of Cu(NO3)2 in your bottle (note how I converted the volume from mL to L).

You need to dilute this to 0.5 mol/L. So how much solvent should you have in total? How much do you need to add to the 250 mL you had?

Now if you look back what you've done, you should see the C1 x V1 = C2 x V2, but hopefully you better understand what it means.

Last edited:
To add to CompuChip answer:

Cee said:
I used the equation C1xV1=C2xV2

This is just mass balance (or mass conservation) - amount of substance in the solution after dilution is identical to amount of substance before the dilution. That means both V1 & V2 refer to the total volumes.

1. What is the formula for calculating the amount of solvent needed to dilute a solution?

The formula for calculating the amount of solvent needed to dilute a solution is:
V2 = (V1 * C1) / C2
where V2 is the volume of solvent needed, V1 is the initial volume of the solution, C1 is the initial concentration of the solution, and C2 is the desired concentration of the solution.

2. How do I calculate the initial volume of the solution?

The initial volume of the solution can be measured using a graduated cylinder or other measuring device. Alternatively, if the concentration and amount of solute are known, the initial volume can be calculated using the formula:
V1 = (n * M) / C
where V1 is the initial volume, n is the moles of solute, M is the molarity of the solution, and C is the concentration of the solute in the solution.

3. What is the molarity of Cu(NO3)2?

The molarity of Cu(NO3)2 is 1.5M, as stated in the question. This means that there is 1.5 moles of Cu(NO3)2 per liter of solution.

4. Can I use any solvent to dilute the solution?

No, not all solvents are suitable for diluting a solution. The solvent used should be miscible with the solution and not react with the solute. Water is a common and safe solvent for dilution purposes.

5. How can I check if the solution has been properly diluted?

You can check the concentration of the diluted solution using a concentration measuring device, such as a spectrophotometer or titration. Alternatively, you can calculate the concentration using the formula:
C1 * V1 = C2 * V2
where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume, and C2 and V2 are the final concentration and volume. The result should match the desired concentration of the solution.