Calculating mass of CO needed to produce 100 g CO2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fishingaxe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Co2
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Fishingaxe
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



calculate the amount of carbon monoxide necessary to form 100 g of carbon dioxide.

The Attempt at a Solution



2CO + O2 -> 2CO2

Oxygen atom mass ≈ 16μ
Carbon atom mass ≈ 12μ

There are 2 carbom atoms and 1 oxygen atom

100/16+24 = 2.5

2.5(16+12) = 70g

Answer: You need 70g CO2 to form 100g carbon dioxide.

Is this right? I've done some research in Swedish on similar problems and pretty much copy pasted the method. If this is right could someone please write what formula this is?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chances are it would be right if not for the fact you messed up your math. CO2 is not an oxygen plus two carbon atoms.
 
32 + 12 = 48

100/48 = 2.083
2.083(16+12?) = 58.324g

If this is correct why is it 16+12 in the "( )"? I do not yet understand this formula obviously. I know that 16+12 is the atom masses for oxygen and carbon together but why would this be in the formula?
 
Ye firstly I figured it was two oxygen + 1 carbon but another person who apparently "knew" chemistry at a website in swedish wrote it out like that so I figured he were more likely to be right than me. Apperently he was wrong.