Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating max load of storm shelter

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    Easy question

Have a 5ft x 5ft x 5ft structure made from 3/8 carbon steel AISI 1018 I think

What is the max load this thing can take? What's the formula?

Stress=F/A

F=Stress*A???

Do I use the Modulus of Rigidity? Elasticity? Where can I find these values?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2
    It's just a box? No, you can't just use sig=F/A...that is for loads on a surface. For structural integrity you have to get into a bit more work. Especially if it is a frame

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    Yes it's just a box

3/8" Steel welded up to connect the walls

Any suggestions where I can find the correct formulas?

Been a while since college and cant remember where all that stuff is

thanks

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    I think you should put some figure how you apply the load, is it bending, torsion, tension or compress. Different situation will have different formula.

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5
    My suggestion. Overbuild. Don't worry too much about the load calcs. If it is well built and overbuilt, you should have no worries. I doubt you are going to settle for a 20% factor of safety, so why not reinforce all the walls and ceiling and gusset your corners and make that baby unbreakable?

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

rimmer2300: There is not really an easy formula. I assumed there is a compressive load, P, evenly distributed over the top surface of the box. I currently got a maximum allowable load of P = 80.9 kN. Therefore, it currently appears the box will resist a compressive load of at least 80.9 kN.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook