Calculating max load of storm shelter

  • Thread starter Thread starter rimmer2300
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Load Max Storm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
rimmer2300
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Easy question

Have a 5ft x 5ft x 5ft structure made from 3/8 carbon steel AISI 1018 I think

What is the max load this thing can take? What's the formula?

Stress=F/A

F=Stress*A?

Do I use the Modulus of Rigidity? Elasticity? Where can I find these values?

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a box? No, you can't just use sig=F/A...that is for loads on a surface. For structural integrity you have to get into a bit more work. Especially if it is a frame
 
Yes it's just a box

3/8" Steel welded up to connect the walls

Any suggestions where I can find the correct formulas?

Been a while since college and can't remember where all that stuff is

thanks
 
I think you should put some figure how you apply the load, is it bending, torsion, tension or compress. Different situation will have different formula.
 
My suggestion. Overbuild. Don't worry too much about the load calcs. If it is well built and overbuilt, you should have no worries. I doubt you are going to settle for a 20% factor of safety, so why not reinforce all the walls and ceiling and gusset your corners and make that baby unbreakable?
 
rimmer2300: There is not really an easy formula. I assumed there is a compressive load, P, evenly distributed over the top surface of the box. I currently got a maximum allowable load of P = 80.9 kN. Therefore, it currently appears the box will resist a compressive load of at least 80.9 kN.