1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating measurement uncertainty

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I've been studying uncertainty in measurement. I'm not sure how to decide if the uncertainty of a given measurement should be ±.01 or ±.02 or ±.03, and so forth. I understand that the number of decimal places in the uncertainty calculation should correspond to the number of decimal places in the measurement, but I am not sure as to when I should decide whether the uncertainty contains a 1, 2, 3, and so forth.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey AbsoluteZer0.

If it's a statistical measure of error, this usually corresponds to some kind of standard deviation or standard error (both refer to different things: one being a population measure typically and the other being a sample statistic typically), but if it's not statistical it may correspond a maximum error bound.

If it's the latter then typically you will figure out what the maximum error is and use that since all values will lie in-between +- that value.

If it's statistical then this is different because what happens usually in this case is that you have +- so many sigma contains a probabilistic proportion that a fraction of the errors according to some constraint will fall in that region and the rest won't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook