What is the final percentage for the module?

• Thread starter Jamus1985
  • Start date
Therefore, you received 59.6% overall for the module.In summary, to calculate the final percentage for a module, you need to find the weighted mean by multiplying each assignment's score by its weight percentage, then adding them together and dividing by the total weight percentage. In this conversation, Jamie received 56% for assignment 1, which counted for 40% of the module, and 62% for assignment 2, which counted for 60% of the module. Plugging these values into the formula (ax+by)/100, we get a final percentage of 59.6% for the module.
Jamus1985
Hi I am trying to calculate a result for a module I took

I got 56 % for assignment 1
I got 62% for assignment 2

Assignment 1 counts as 40% of the module
Assignment 2 counts as 60% of the module

Can anyone tell me what my final percentage is for the module please

Thanks a lot

cheers

Jamie

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Generally, if mark a counts for x percent, and b counts for y percent, then the overall score will be (ax+by)/100. Plug in your values and you will get your average (59.6)

Sorry could you just clarify what you mean by (ax+by)/100.. Sorry having a dumb day

cheers

You want to find the weighted mean.

You got 56 in Ass. 1 which is worth 40%.
You got 62 in Ass. 2 which is worth 60%.

56(40) + 62(60)
---------------
40 + 60

is your weighted mean, 59.6.

Jamus1985 said:
Hi I am trying to calculate a result for a module I took...
Jamie

Wow, I really hope it wasn't a module in mathematics. :tongue:

Here's how I think of it:

40% of Assignment1 + 60% of Assignment2 = 100% of your grade

0.40(56) + 0.6(62) = 22.4 + 37.2 = 59.6

100% of 59.6 is 59.6.

1. What is the formula for calculating a percentage?

The formula for calculating a percentage is: (part/whole) x 100. This means you take the part of a whole number and divide it by the whole number, and then multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

2. How do I calculate a percentage increase or decrease?

To calculate a percentage increase, you would first subtract the old number from the new number. Then, divide that difference by the old number and multiply by 100. To calculate a percentage decrease, you would follow the same steps but divide by the new number instead.

3. Can percentages be greater than 100%?

Yes, percentages can be greater than 100%. This often occurs when calculating percentage increase or when expressing a ratio as a percentage.

4. How do I calculate the percentage of a group or population?

To calculate the percentage of a group or population, you would first determine the total number in the group. Then, you would divide the number of individuals you are interested in by the total number and multiply by 100.

5. Are there any shortcuts for calculating percentages?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts for calculating percentages. For example, you can find 10% of a number by moving the decimal point one place to the left. Additionally, you can find 1% of a number by dividing it by 100. These shortcuts can be helpful in quickly estimating percentages.