Period and maximum speed of vibrating atoms in a solid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sucks@Physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atom Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
Sucks@Physics
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Atoms in a solid are in continuous vibrational motion due to thermal energy. At room temperature, the amplitude of these atomic bibrations is typically about 10^-9 cm, and their frequency is on the order of 10^12 Hz. What is the approximate period of oscillation of a typical atom? What is the mazimum speed of such an atom?


Homework Equations


(1/f)=T


The Attempt at a Solution


For period of oscillation i know the answer is 10^-12, but I do not know the formula for finding the speed of the atom. I used C=(lambda/f) but this didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of a particle in SHM is mv^2/2, where v is max speed and also kA^2/2, where A is amplitude. Do you know omega in terms of k and m? Then you can figure it out.
 
ok so omega = sqrt*k/m then multiply omega x A to get max speed? But i get a very small number and I know it's not correct, what am I doing wrong?
 
Last edited:
(omega = 2*pi*f = 2*pi/T.)

Probably doing some arithmetical errors. Show your calculations.