Calculating Probability of Snow in Exactly One of Two Cities

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrownianMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
BrownianMan
Messages
133
Reaction score
0
I had this question on a test:

The probability of snowing in one city is 0.4, and the probability of snowing in another city is 0.7. Assume independence. What is the probability that it snows in exactly one of the two cities?

The way I approached it was to say that the probability that it snows in exactly one of the two cities is:

Let A denote probability of snow in the first city.
Let B denote probability of snow in the second city.

P(A and 'not B') or P('not A' and B) = (0.4)(0.3) + (0.6)(0.7) - (0.4)(0.3)(0.6)(0.7) = 0.4896

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I just realized that. The events P(A and 'not B') and P('not A' and B) are mutually exclusive.

The question was out of 6, so at least I'll get part marks.