Calculating speeds of radio to a planet

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cinematic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planet Radio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cinematic
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi! I need help with the method to approach a question, if I wish to calculate how long it will take for a radio message to reach a certain planet (just the general concept), what will be the key pieces of information I require?

I know I need: the distance from Earth to said planet
the distance traveled by the radio message (speed of light x journey time)

What else would I require? Any help is appreciated on this question. Thank you.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Well, that and the speed of light, but you can look that up. :wink:
Well, yeah. There's also a good chance you'll need to know how to convert units.