Calculating the doppler red shift

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding how to go from step 1 to step 2 and from step 2 to step 3. In step 3, they substitute T by λ/c and in step 4, they simplify by (1+v/c) and define β.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

I'm working on this problem here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/redshf2.html

The answer is already listed, it's the steps I'm worried about.

Screenshot2012-06-04at34328AM.png

I don't see how they get from step 1 to step 2 here. They don't even tell me what T is. It seems that they are substitution T into the equation. I would think T = lambda/c+v but that's not what they're doing here.

Screenshot2012-06-04at34330AM.png

I can't get from step 2 to 3, nor 3 to 4. They don't tell you what the equation for lambda source is, so I don't see how they work that into the equation.

Beta = v/c

Well if that's true then (1+v/c)^2 = 1 + 2v/c + (v/c)^2 not what they have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Robertjford80
T is the period of oscillation, so you have λ=cT or T=λ/c (since the propagation speed of the wave is the speed of light)
This is the substitution made in the first step to the second.
To go to the next step, you use a simple identity
1-x^2=(1-x)(1+x) (for the uppur part, the square comes from puttint everything in the square root)
The next step is just simplifying by (1+v/c) and defining β.

Cheers...

if T = lamba/c and if lambda = c/v then (c/v)/c = 1/v. I don't see that in the equation. I can see how they go from 1-x^2 to (1-x)(1+x) in the denominator but not in the numerator.

I understand step 3 to 4 now.

T=λ/c so the T in the first step is simply replaced by it.
Look at the two equations, there is nothing else to it, you replace T by λ/c, and the c goes down
This c is later what goes in the numerator:
(c+v)/c = 1+v/c
you square it to put it into the square root, and it becomes
√[(1+v/c)(1+v/c)]

Cheers...

I understand now. thanks.

What is the Doppler red shift?

The Doppler red shift is a phenomenon that occurs when an object emitting light is moving away from an observer. This causes a shift in the wavelength of the light towards the red end of the spectrum.

Why is it important to calculate the Doppler red shift?

Calculating the Doppler red shift allows us to determine the velocity and direction of motion of objects in space. This is crucial for understanding the movement and behavior of celestial bodies.

How is the Doppler red shift calculated?

The Doppler red shift is calculated using the equation z = Δλ/λ, where z is the red shift, Δλ is the change in wavelength, and λ is the original wavelength of the light.

What are the factors that affect the Doppler red shift?

The Doppler red shift is affected by the relative motion of the object emitting light and the observer, as well as the speed of light and the wavelength of the emitted light.

Can the Doppler red shift be used to measure distances in space?

Yes, the Doppler red shift can be used to measure the distance to objects in space. By analyzing the amount of red shift, scientists can estimate the distance an object has traveled and its location in space.