Brittykitty said:
I'm not quite sure that I get it :(
So when I find the force that will be my height? This is the most confusing question to me lol
You had it in your original post. Earlier (in my previous post) I was simply confirming that your approach was correct.
You had already calculated,
[tex]W = P\Delta t[/tex]
such that W = 2375 J. But you also worked out that
[tex]W = mg \Delta h[/tex],
therefore,
[tex]\mbox{2375 J} = mg \Delta h[/tex].
Solve for [itex]\Delta h[/itex], where [itex]\Delta h[/itex] is the height of the stairs.
[I didn't mean to confuse you with the vector dot product stuff. All I was trying to point out was that it's not necessary to know the 3-dimensional length of the stairs. Since gravity is the only external force involved (well, besides normal forces and such) (and I'm also assuming that the student is ascending the stairs at a constant velocity [i.e. not accelerating] for simplicity), then gravity is the only force the student is "fighting." That means the
height of the stairs (and not its overall length) is the only distance that matters.]
[Edit: Oh, and I'm also ignoring air resistance and the like.

]