Finding the mass of gold in a crown of gold-copper alloy using buoyancy

  • Thread starter Thread starter techgeek17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gold Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
techgeek17
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A jeweler has made a crown of an alloy of gold and copper. The crown weighs 0.358 N when measured in air and 0.338 N when submerged completely in water. The density of water is 1.00x10^3 kg/m^3, the density of copper is 8.92X10^3 kg/m^3, and the density of gold is 1.93x10^4 kg/m^3. Calculate the weight of the gold in the crown.

Homework Equations


Unknown. None are given and can't find any in my textbook.

The Attempt at a Solution


None.

I can't seem to find any information about how exactly to do this problem in my textbook or online. Help please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
techgeek17 said:

Homework Statement


A jeweler has made a crown of an alloy of gold and copper. The crown weighs 0.358 N when measured in air and 0.338 N when submerged completely in water. The density of water is 1.00x10^3 kg/m^3, the density of copper is 8.92X10^3 kg/m^3, and the density of gold is 1.93x10^4 kg/m^3. Calculate the weight of the gold in the crown.


Homework Equations


Unknown. None are given and can't find any in my textbook.


The Attempt at a Solution


None.

I can't seem to find any information about how exactly to do this problem in my textbook or online. Help please?

If you can't find a specific example or a recipe for how to do the problem, you may have to resort to devising your own method :smile:

Why not start by determining the volume of the crown and its density?
 
OK, I attempted to find the volume and density. I got:
mass(in air) as 36.5g
appearant mass(in water) as 34.5g
volume = 2.1x10^6 L(?)
density = 1.83 x 10^4 kg/l

I am assuming now that I need to find a percentage or something of the sort for the gold in the crown.
 
techgeek17 said:
OK, I attempted to find the volume and density. I got:
mass(in air) as 36.5g
appearant mass(in water) as 34.5g
volume = 2.1x10^6 L(?)
density = 1.83 x 10^4 kg/l

I am assuming now that I need to find a percentage or something of the sort for the gold in the crown.

Your mass looks fine, although "apparent mass in water" doesn't make physical sense; stick with the apparent weight.

Your volume looks a bit odd; that's a LOT of liters! How did you arrive at it? Can you demonstrate your calculation?
 
Whoops! I didn't catch that before I posted. The volume I calculated is supposed to be 2.0x10^-6 m^3 (got confused with the unit), not 10^6. and I wrote the apparent mass title based off the equation I used:

m(in air) - m(apparent/in water) = d(water)*v , solving for v

also density unit should be kg/m^3
 
Last edited:
Okay. That clears up a few things :smile:

To how many significant figures should your results be reported?
 
I believe I need to use 2 significant digits. So that would make my density 1.8x10^4, right?

Also, I did some calculations and managed to get what looks like a possibly correct answer. Here's what I did:

Formula: D(copper)*(c-1)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), where c is the ratio of gold to crown
Solved for c - c=[D(crown)+D(copper)]/[D(copper)+D(gold)]
Substituted values - c=[1.8*10^4+8.92*10^3]/[8.92*10^3+1.93*10^4]
And solved - c=.965

then i took weight of crown times c and got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

I am unsure is this is right or not though, since the amount of gold is so high, but it is my best bet at the moment.
 
techgeek17 said:
I believe I need to use 2 significant digits. So that would make my density 1.8x10^4, right?

How many significant figures are in the numbers that are given in the problem statement?
Also, I did some calculations and managed to get what looks like a possibly correct answer. Here's what I did:

Formula: D(copper)*(c-1)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), where c is the ratio of gold to crown
Good idea, and almost correct :smile:

The fractions of the whole should sum to the whole, so your terms c and c-1 should add up to 1. That is, they should be c and 1-c.
 
gneill said:
How many significant figures are in the numbers that are given in the problem statement?

Good idea, and almost correct :smile:

The fractions of the whole should sum to the whole, so your terms c and c-1 should add up to 1. That is, they should be c and 1-c.

Significant Digits = 3

And the formula should be D(copper)*(1-c)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), right?

If so, I got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

How am I doing?
 
techgeek17 said:
Significant Digits = 3

And the formula should be D(copper)*(1-c)+D(gold)*c=D(crown), right?

If so, I got 3.52*10^-2 kg or .345 N

How am I doing?

Your approach looks fine now. I'm a bit concerned with the final value though, it's in the right ballpark but seems a tad high to me. Could it be rounding or truncation error creeping in from intermediate values? Did you keep sufficient extra digits of precision in your intermediate steps?