California had an election last night?

  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • #1
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
:surprised :surprised :surprised

Did you vote?

I worked the election and i didn't even know there was an election last night.

There was a turnout of over ... 150 people in the precinct i worked at :grumpy:. With 980 registrants in our precinct... or well, we recieved 980 ballots so who knows how many people were actually in the precinct (i think a couple thousand).

Does anyone really know what its like to sit in an un-airconditioned church for 16 hours in june with whole chunks of 30 minutes going by without one voter :grumpy:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Danger
Gold Member
9,756
253
Pengwuino said:
:surprised :surprised :surprised

Did you vote?
Yes, I did. My ballot should arrive in the mail within a week or so. :uhh:
 
  • #3
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Danger said:
Yes, I did. My ballot should arrive in the mail within a week or so. :uhh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 
  • #4
mattmns
1,118
6
We had an election yesterday, but it was a preliminary so I didn't vote.
 
  • #5
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
Bad news from San Diego. :grumpy:
 
  • #6
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
Ivan Seeking said:
Bad news from San Diego. :grumpy:
After her remarks to the illegal immigrants, Busby had that coming. I'm not as disappointed as I would have been otherwise.
 
  • #7
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,176
21
mattmns said:
We had an election yesterday, but it was a preliminary so I didn't vote.
A preliminary? Did you mean 'primary' or were you refering to something like a municipal election?

Why don't you vote in preliminaries?
 
  • #8
berkeman
Mentor
63,240
14,193
I've voted in just about every election for many years, but this Cali election was mainly a Democratic primary, and I'm not a democrat at the moment. And the propositions on the ballot looked like they would pretty easily go the way I wanted, so I bailed on this one.

But, I did learn something very interesting from some folks who are now using the Absentee Ballot system exclusively. I was always worried about using an absentee ballot, and having to mail it in early before all the last minute info came out. But now, you can vote on your absentee ballot, seal it in the nifty envelope, and walk right to the head of the line at the polling place (well, for real elections there is always a line) and drop it in the box. No waiting, and no getting there early to get a good place in line.

I'm registering for the Permanent Absentee Ballot thingee soon.
 
  • #9
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,828
53
Why does that sound so typically Californian to me? Vote absentee so you can drop the ballot off in person on election day. :rofl:
 
  • #10
mattmns
1,118
6
Gokul43201 said:
A preliminary? Did you mean 'primary' or were you refering to something like a municipal election?

Why don't you vote in preliminaries?
lol, sorry. I meant primary :redface:
 
  • #11
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
berkeman said:
But, I did learn something very interesting from some folks who are now using the Absentee Ballot system exclusively. I was always worried about using an absentee ballot, and having to mail it in early before all the last minute info came out. But now, you can vote on your absentee ballot, seal it in the nifty envelope, and walk right to the head of the line at the polling place (well, for real elections there is always a line) and drop it in the box. No waiting, and no getting there early to get a good place in line

You can even drop it off 200 miles away from your own precinct! Did you know you can also just go to your county election's office and vote at any point up until the polls close? Last election i voted 2 days before the election at the office.
 
  • #12
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Moonbear said:
Why does that sound so typically Californian to me? Vote absentee so you can drop the ballot off in person on election day. :rofl:

We had about... 50 absentee ballots handed in, 170 ballots cast normally :biggrin:
 
  • #13
Pengwuino
Gold Member
5,124
17
Ivan Seeking said:
Bad news from San Diego. :grumpy:

Don't worry, republicans stole this election too. We used diebold machines :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But really, our county is switching to electronic voting. We used 1 touch-pad machine made by Diebold...and of course, 0 people used it. I realized near the end of hte night that the clerk responsible for the machine had put it way in the back so i don't even think anyone noticed it was there:grumpy: They also had this insane policy that if we got 1 person to use it, 2 more people had to use it :confused: It's a slower process but the main advantage was that they are a thousand times more handicapped-friendly then paper ballot. It had headphones, large screen, everythings explained slowly... SLOWELY :grumpy: ... Oh well. They had told the clerks that they should expect 1 or 2 people in the entire county to want to use it... and yah, that was pretty accurate.
 

Suggested for: California had an election last night?

Replies
1
Views
432
Replies
199
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
1K
Replies
2
Views
553
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
819
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
581
Replies
141
Views
7K
Replies
12
Views
860
Replies
12
Views
1K
Top