Can a Background in Physics and Math Enhance a Career in Evolutionary Biology?

In summary, a background in physics and math can greatly enhance a career in evolutionary biology. These fields provide a strong foundation for understanding and analyzing complex biological systems and evolutionary processes. The mathematical and analytical skills gained from studying physics and math can be applied to studying evolutionary patterns and modeling biological phenomena. Additionally, a deep understanding of physics can aid in comprehending the underlying physical principles that govern biological systems. Overall, a background in physics and math can greatly benefit those pursuing a career in evolutionary biology by providing a unique perspective and valuable tools for research and analysis.
brpetrucci
How did you find PF?
When I was a physics student I used it a lot for homework help and reading suggestions. Found it through Google, probably, searching for “how do I Lagrange” or something of the sort
Hey all! My name’s Bruno. I was a physics major for 2 years in undergrad, ended up switching to applied math and starting to do research in bio and now am a second year PhD student in mathematical evolutionary biology.

I’m still really interested in physics though, especially general relativity which was the focus of the grad classes I took when I was still a physics student. I’m here trying to reconnect with that part of myself! Looking to learn more about good self study resources, and just in general meeting people with similar interests. Thanks for reading! See y’all around.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
brpetrucci said:
I was a physics major for 2 years in undergrad, ended up switching to applied math and starting to do research in bio and now am a second year PhD student in mathematical evolutionary biology.
As a biologist, sounds like you made some good choices to me.
Welcome to PF.

Likes brpetrucci