Can a Baseball Hit at 26 Degrees Clear a 3.8m Fence 120m Away?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moondawg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2d
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
moondawg
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
QUESTION: A baseball is hit 1.2 meters above the ground, at an angle of 26 degrees, with an initial speed of 80 m/s.
a. Will it clear a 3.8m fence 120m away from the home-run?

MY PROCESS(But not positive I am doing it correctly)
KNOWN
Vx= 80cos26=71.9 m/s
Vy= 80sin26=35.07 m/s
So I did the problem as if from ground level and tried to find time.(using -10 as my acceleration thankyou Mr Werner)
> 0=35.07+-10t t=3.2x2=7s
*got my time to be 7s
Then I am completely lost on what to do after that. I tried finding the how high the ball is when it is insantaneously at 120m in the x direction but my numbers are so extremely wrong... HELLLP MEEEEEE! please
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi moondawg,

moondawg said:
QUESTION: A baseball is hit 1.2 meters above the ground, at an angle of 26 degrees, with an initial speed of 80 m/s.
a. Will it clear a 3.8m fence 120m away from the home-run?

MY PROCESS(But not positive I am doing it correctly)
KNOWN
Vx= 80cos26=71.9 m/s
Vy= 80sin26=35.07 m/s
So I did the problem as if from ground level and tried to find time.(using -10 as my acceleration thankyou Mr Werner)
> 0=35.07+-10t t=3.2x2=7s
*got my time to be 7s

You solved this equation, and then doubled the time to find the time of 7s. But what exactly does this particular time represent? In other words, what is the ball doing (or what can you say about its position) at t=7s?

(Remember that the goal of this problem is to find out if the ball makes is over the fence or not.)

Then I am completely lost on what to do after that. I tried finding the how high the ball is when it is insantaneously at 120m in the x direction but my numbers are so extremely wrong... HELLLP MEEEEEE! please
 
Using the final x position(120 meters) and the constant x velocity you found, you can find the time the ball be at that distance. Plug this time into the quation final vertical displacement= initial vertical displacemnt + (initial y-velocity x time) + (acceleration/gravity x time^2). if the answer is less than 3.8 meters, i didn't make it.
 
alphysicist said:
Hi moondawg,
You solved this equation, and then doubled the time to find the time of 7s. But what exactly does this particular time represent? In other words, what is the ball doing (or what can you say about its position) at t=7s?

+1

If you can answer this question, you will (most likely) know what's going on. If you understand what is going on, it makes solving the problem a LOT easier.
 
Last edited:
Hi jmb88korean,

jmb88korean said:
Using the final x position(120 meters) and the constant x velocity you found, you can find the time the ball be at that distance. Plug this time into the quation final vertical displacement= initial vertical displacemnt + (initial y-velocity x time) + (acceleration/gravity x time^2). if the answer is less than 3.8 meters, i didn't make it.

I believe that quation is missing a factor of 1/2.