Can a basic knowledge of perturbation theory solve this?

In summary: Therefore the higher order equations are just inhomogeneous equations that we can solve iteratively, provided we can solve the first order equations. The first order equations have general solutions of the form: x_0 = A\cos(\omega u) + B\sin(\omega u) . But since this is in the form of the first order equation we can add the initial conditions to find the particular solution, or we can find an particular solution by variation of parameters. The iterations will give you a solution for x(u) and y(u) in the form of a series in terms of \epsilon. If you only need a solution upto a certain order then you can stop the iterations at that order, and your solution will be
ozone
Hello all,

I have boiled a very long physics problem down to the point that I need to solve the coupled equations

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial u^2} + xf(u) + yg(u) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial u^2} + yf(u) - xg(u) = 0 [/tex]

We may assume that[tex] |f| ,|g| << 1.[/tex] and that both f and g are periodic on the same interval T, i.e. [tex]f(u) = f(u+T),g(u) = g(u+T)[/tex]
I was wondering if this is something that could be solved with little knowledge of perturbation theory or if this was a very advanced problem, and I was wondering if anyone had any useful resources. So far I have found that this would be relatively easy to solve if they weren't coupled, but this is a level of complexity which is beyond me

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set a=x+y, b=x-y
This should decouple your system.

I tried this substitution but I'm very certain it will not actually uncouple these ode's, unless I am missing a very interesting algebra trick

Oh sorry, I missed the minus sign in the second equation.
Hmm... it is impossible to decouple them with linear transformations.

Edit: Oh, complex numbers are great.

Last edited:
ozone said:
Hello all,

I have boiled a very long physics problem down to the point that I need to solve the coupled equations

We may assume that[tex] |f| ,|g| << 1.[/tex] and that both f and g are periodic on the same interval T, i.e. [tex]f(u) = f(u+T),g(u) = g(u+T)[/tex]
I was wondering if this is something that could be solved with little knowledge of perturbation theory or if this was a very advanced problem, and I was wondering if anyone had any useful resources. So far I have found that this would be relatively easy to solve if they weren't coupled, but this is a level of complexity which is beyond me

Thank you.

If you set [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] and (EDIT:) [itex]w = f - ig[/itex] then your system becomes
[tex]
\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + w(u)z = 0
[/tex]
which may be easier to analyze.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
If you set [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] and [itex]w = f + ig[/itex] then your system becomes
[tex]
\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + w(u)z = 0
[/tex]
which may be easier to analyze.

Depending on w(u), it may still be difficult to find the general solution.
If this second order ODE admits Liouvillian solutions, they can be found using Kovacic' algorithm, you can do this with e.g. Maple.

ozone said:
Hello all,

Thank you.

Yes you can probably use perturbation theory, but you have to first define your ordering. Its not enough that f and g are small. They have to be small compared to something.

As an example let's assume [itex] xg /\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial u^2} [/itex] is order [itex]\epsilon[/itex] small. We also assume that x and y are of comparable magnitude, as are f and g. The validity of these assumptions depend on the problem, and you might have to alter the following approach depending on the problem. And its important to check that your final answer is consistent with this ordering.

With these assumptions we next expand x (and y) in terms of order [itex]\epsilon[/itex]: [itex] x=\epsilon^0 x_0 + \epsilon^1 x_1 + \epsilon^2 x_2 + \dots [/itex]. Here [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is just an marker of smallness. We also note that [itex] \frac{\partial^2 }{\partial u^2} [/itex] is order [itex]1/\epsilon [/itex] large and and it is helpful to write it as [itex] \frac{1}{\epsilon}\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial u^2} [/itex]

Now we plug the expansions for x and y into the equation, and equate terms of the same order in [itex] \epsilon [/itex]. This creates a hierarchy of equation that we can solve.

To lowest order we have:
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 x_0}{\partial u^2} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 y_0}{\partial u^2} = 0 [/tex]

The next order equation is
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 x_1}{\partial u^2} + x_0f(u) + y_0 g(u) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 y_1}{\partial u^2} + y_0f(u) - x_0 g(u) = 0 [/tex]

And all higher order equations are of this form:
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 x_j}{\partial u^2} + x_{j-1}f(u) + y_{j-1} g(u) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 y_j}{\partial u^2} + y_{j-1}f(u) - x_{j-1} g(u) = 0 [/tex]

Note that in each equation for [itex] x_j,y_j [/itex] the terms [itex] x_{j-1},y_{j-1} [/itex] are known from the previous equation.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to solve problems that involve small changes or perturbations from a known solution. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to approximate solutions for complex systems.

2. Can perturbation theory be used to solve any problem?

No, perturbation theory is only applicable to certain types of problems, specifically ones that involve small perturbations from a known solution. It is not a universal solution for all problems.

3. Do I need advanced mathematical knowledge to understand perturbation theory?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary to comprehend perturbation theory. It involves complex mathematical concepts and equations.

4. How is perturbation theory applied in the field of science?

Perturbation theory is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to make approximations and predictions for complex systems that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods.

5. Can perturbation theory provide exact solutions?

No, perturbation theory provides approximations of solutions, not exact solutions. It is a useful tool for solving problems that are too complex to solve exactly, but the solutions obtained through perturbation theory should be validated with experimental or numerical data.