Can a HEP physics PhD move to other fields of physics research?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Doofy
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
I'm currently a phd student and am doing high energy particle physics. I am unsure about what I will do when I graduate, but I suspect I willl apply for postdoc positions. What I'm wondering is, let's say I do decide to stay in physics. Am I completely limited to a career in HEP physics, or could other options be open to me?

It's not that I don't like HEP physics, but there are other areas that I quite like, and I'd like the option to work in certain places in the world where HEP physics is not being done but other types of physics are.

If the answer is no, then what can a PhD-holding physicist do if he wishes to change his career path? How can they prove they have the relevant knowledge to findemployment in a different branch of physics? Do they have to do another masters or even another PhD? Or can they apply to jobs and demonstrate their competency in other ways?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "another branch"? Particle astro? Nuclear? Or condensed matter?
 
Vanadium 50 said:
What do you mean by "another branch"? Particle astro? Nuclear? Or condensed matter?

well, when I was applying for PhD's, fusion appealed to me, but I never got any offers for that. Is it much of a leap for a HEP physicist to get into fusion?