How is medical physics compared to other fields of physics?

In summary, medical physics is a highly specialized field that involves the application of physics principles to the medical field. It typically includes courses in fundamental radiation physics, medical imaging, radiation biology, health physics, and radiation dosimetry, among others. Some medical physics graduate programs can be rigorous and require students to complete core physics courses, while others may focus more on practical clinical skills. While some may perceive medical physics as an easier field compared to others, it still requires a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, and can present complex challenges in areas such as imaging technology and radiation dosimetry.
AryaKimiaghalam said:
Hey choppy
Sorry to bother you
Is it possible for a person to get a M.Sc in let's say quantum mechanics and get into medical physics phd program? How this works?
Thanks

Yes*, its not uncommon for people to complete a master's degree in one sub-field of physics and then transfer to another for the PhD, including medical physics. The main issue with doing this is that you have to climb the learning curve of your new field. Students who start out with an MSc in medical physics have a leg up when they go on to their PhD because they've already done most of the required course work and they've already been introduced to the field - used the linear accelerators and imaging equipment, gotten oriented in the hospital, that kind of thing. If you're coming from another sub-field you need to do all of that stuff to catch up, but that's not to say it can't be done.

*The other thing to note is that I'm not sure there really are any programs in "quantum mechanics" specifically out there. There are a lot of branches that use quantum mechanics of course, but they're not focussed on the further development of quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I just wanted to give an example. I was thinking of studying quantum optics for my M.Sc and then go to medical physics Ph.D. program.

For what it's worth, some people go the other direction too. They do a PhD in some other area of physics and then enroll in an accredited medical physics MSc program. The advantage of doing that over the post PhD diploma programs are that the MSc programs will sometimes come with financial support, and there's more of an opportunity to do a smaller research project.. So that's an option too.

But considering you haven't started university yet (according to your initial post) it's best not to get too fixated on a particular route at this point.

That's true. you're right but getting a Ph.D. in a field that you won't work in is very depressing, considering you put 5 years into it. I've seen another guy asking you about theoretical medical physics. I didn't get any useful information from that but I'm really interested in math and physics intensive branches of medical physics. That's why I'm considering a M.Sc in quantum optics. I really enjoy designing and studying medical imaging technologies like the NMR in nuclear physics and etc. I'm worries that I will lose that part in medical physics (the advanced math/physics part). I know that it is too early to decide but can you give me some information please? Thank you so much for being a great helper.

Last edited:
Are they as competent as people with a phd in MP?

AryaKimiaghalam said:
Are they as competent as people with a phd in MP?

Generally they are taken as such when competing for residencies. One advantage of those with a medical physics-specific PhD is that they have so many more years of hands-on experience in the clinic (assuming they get that in their program). They've gone to more conferences, they've had more opportunities to get involved with clinical projects like commissioning new equipment, and of course, they've most likely done a PhD in something directly related to medical physics, so there's at least one niche area that they know inside and out.

Those coming in with a PhD from elsewhere haven't had as long to climb the learning curve. But they bring in other advantages such as the different skill set that comes from the different discipline. Sometimes those skills can allow a department to make advances they wouldn't otherwise be able to make.

And it all tends to come out in the wash at the end of a two-year residency anyway. That's where you really develop your clinical skills in my experience.

Thanks for the help?
So in your opinion
Choppy said:
Generally they are taken as such when competing for residencies. One advantage of those with a medical physics-specific PhD is that they have so many more years of hands-on experience in the clinic (assuming they get that in their program). They've gone to more conferences, they've had more opportunities to get involved with clinical projects like commissioning new equipment, and of course, they've most likely done a PhD in something directly related to medical physics, so there's at least one niche area that they know inside and out.

Those coming in with a PhD from elsewhere haven't had as long to climb the learning curve. But they bring in other advantages such as the different skill set that comes from the different discipline. Sometimes those skills can allow a department to make advances they wouldn't otherwise be able to make.

And it all tends to come out in the wash at the end of a two-year residency anyway. That's where you really develop your clinical skills in my experience.

Thanks for the help
So, in your opinion, what is a math/physics intensive topic for medical physics Ph.D. students? I'm very interested in math and physics heavy research works. What "topic" or "branch" of medical physics is more math and physics intensive? like which subfield uses let's say, quantum optics and molecular physics? Thanks again.

I love the field itself, but I'm trying to figure our the subfield that suits me.

It is a bit early to try and set a targeted research field. You may take over a decade before entering the field and In that time the field and you may change. . Your first two to three years of learning will not be significantly changed no matter in what you are intimately interested. In that time you may learn things that may change your future outlook. Concentrate on the issues you currently must deal with and revisit your aspirations periodically to determine if they are remaining firm and adjust as necessary.

Likes Choppy
gleem said:
It is a bit early to try and set a targeted research field. You may take over a decade before entering the field and In that time the field and you may change. . Your first two to three years of learning will not be significantly changed no matter in what you are intimately interested. In that time you may learn things that may change your future outlook. Concentrate on the issues you currently must deal with and revisit your aspirations periodically to determine if they are remaining firm and adjust as necessary.
That s right. Thanks.

AryaKimiaghalam said:
What "topic" or "branch" of medical physics is more math and physics intensive? like which subfield uses let's say, quantum optics and molecular physics?

If you're really interested in this, you'll probably be happier with doing your own research on the issue. Check out some of the journals that I've mentioned above and look for review articles if you really want to dive in.

Perhaps some "math heavier" avenues to consider:
- With the onset of linac-MRI hybrid machines a few groups are looking at techniques for solving the linear Boltzmann transport equation in the presence of magnetic fields. Here's an http://mp.med.uAlberta.ca/linac-mr/publications/Feb2015/Direc_Dose.pdf.
- Here's a review on deformable image registration
- Here's an introduction to molecular imaging in radiation oncology
- You could also look for reviews in machine learning and its application to radiation oncology or more broadly to radiology (i.e. in computer-aided diagnosis)

Thank you so much choppy! I’m trying to read and understand the papers you suggested! They look cool.