Can a Man Swing Across a 50m Canyon with a 30m Grapple Hook?

  • Thread starter Thread starter godofrock
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
godofrock
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I am new here so be gentle please.

I have been set the following question for a problem modelling course.

Homework Statement



A man needs to traverse a canyon of width 50m, he has a grapple hook that is attached to a conveniently placed rock that is 30m long. Can he make it across? He also has a bag full of camping equipment, should he attempt to take this with him?

2. My question

I was wondering if anyone could inform me the general areas of physics/mechanics that will be useful in attempting to solve this problem.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi godofrock! Welcome to PF! :smile:

7 days is a long time … don't wait more than 1 day in future, if nobody answers! :smile:

Is that the full question?

How secure is the rock? Which end is the rope attached to? How long is the rope?

If the rock is secure, and the rope is long enough, I don't see what the problem is (btw, I suspect that's why nobody answered first time round). :confused:
 
The most likely reason nobody answered you for such a long time is that the question seems incomplete as tiny-tim has mentioned. Plus you have asked for assistance without any attempt at the problem your self. See this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379