Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a non-US resident buy lottery?

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I did some browsing and it seems like yes, anyone can win the lottery. They would claim the entire prize (or at least, the same share a resident would if there were multiple winners). One source noted that the federal tax is a flat 30% for non-residents, but I'm not sure which state, if any (the person's home state or the state of purchase), would receive state tax

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    every time I see those big mega millions lottery things on billboards I dream for a few moments about how I'd never have to worry about tuition ever again...

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely true. In fact, most likely all your current problems would be instantly gone -- only to be replaced by myriad new problems.

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    yeah, which is why I only dream for a few moments :(

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Solution:

Step 1: Money-> Swiss bank accounts

Step 2: Fake Death

Step 3: Profit!

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7
    What I meant was.. buying it outside the united states.. how do one purchase a ticket when one hasn't set foot in the united states?

And if General Relativity was true, is there just no way to determine the winning number two days before the draws?

9. Mar 28, 2012 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, you can not purchase lottery tickets outside of the US. It is illegal to buy lottery tickets through the mail and lotteries have not been put online yet (although there are states moving in this direction).

10. Mar 28, 2012 #9
    On one hand, I know that there's a negative expected value to playing the lottery, even when it gets this high. I know I'd be better off taking my money and using it to pay down various debts, or even just shoving it in my mattress.

On the other hand, throwing $5 from my entertainment budget once every few months doesn't sound too harmful, and I'd get some enjoyment out of my wasted money. I'd even get about $3 of that back on average!

11. Mar 28, 2012 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard the lottery called, "A tax on people who are bad at math." But I guess if you know the odds and choose to play anyway, it's just an entertainment expense.

I admit there is a small pool at work I occasionally put money into. I think $1 or $2 is a fair price for esprit de corps.

12. Mar 28, 2012 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I've heard "bad at math" replaced by "stupid" :P It's kinda sad that, according to some research I saw in a different life, that the average person with a low income spent 10% of their income in gambling.

13. Mar 29, 2012 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's because relativity (both special and general) IS true that you won't be able to determine winning numbers ahead of time. The best you can hope for, according to the standard model, is that if quantum entanglement can be used to send information, you MIGHT be able to find out INSTANTANEOUSLY that you lost.

14. Mar 29, 2012 #13

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a waste of your money because I'm going to win it. I also plan on being struck by lightning several times this week and getting three holes in one in the same round of golf. :biggrin:

15. Mar 29, 2012 #14
    Is there some nationwide lottery that I'm not aware of? I thought lotteries were state specific.

I never play the lottery, but I'm tempted to play this one. Just one ticket. I would want to play the numbers 1,2,3,4,5, but I don't think I could bring myself to playing those numbers, even though I know the probability of them coming up would be the same as any other combination of numbers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  16. Mar 29, 2012 #15

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Powerball and MegaMillions are both multi-state lotteries. The MegaMillions jackpot is currently at a record of 500 million if one person hits it.

17. Mar 29, 2012 #16
    Obviously not. You should just buy the person who implements the random-draw function a drink. :approve:

18. Mar 29, 2012 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

540 million now.

19. Mar 29, 2012 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw that. The news said that the final amount will be set tomorrow at noon and could hit 600. And if it doesn't hit tomorrow...

20. Mar 29, 2012 #19
    Supposed someone from the future told me the number and I could win the $600 million but I never set foot in the US. If I'd let you buy a ticket by transferring you the $3. Would you give me at least half or $300 million and keep the other half, or would you be greedy and keep all $600 by yourself? Bottom line is. In *hypothetical* event like this. What person in the US you can trust where a stranger whom you gave the $3 ticket would be willing to give you at least half of the prize ($300 million) or even the whole $600 million? Would Greg Bernhardt be that person or Evo? Or a public pastor whom you are certain would give it to you?

21. Mar 29, 2012 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It would be me. I'm a sucker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook