1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a physics person handle this ?

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    I have a bachelors in Physics but intend continuing with a msc in communication engineering at swansea uni. I am however scared will I be able to cope since I do not have an engineering Background. Experience of people switching field like me needed please.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    yes of course you can, all engineering departments are basically compositions and utilization of basic principles of physics with some advancements.

u already are aware of basics and the advancement will be taught. rest depends on your interest and grasping nature.........the more u show interest the more u grasp thing with ease.

so if u r really interested then go forward and continue u'll definitely cope up with it

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    Welcome to the forums, persist911.

I made a switch from physics to a particular type of engineering - and whilst I did find it more difficult than my colleagues with engineering backgrounds, I managed just fine. For an Msc I would recommend, if you have the time, trying to get background reading done before you start the course. Once you've got a place, find out what the individual course topics will be, and ask the course co-ordinator if they might be able to recommend a reading list.

The initial difficulty will be familiarising yourself with engineering-language, something which is easily overcome with preparation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook