1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a self adjoint operator have a continous spectrum ?

1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    Can a self adjoint operator have a continous spectrum ??

If we have a self adjoint operator

[tex] Ly_{n} = \lambda _{n} [/tex]

can n take arbitrary real values (n >0 ) in the sense that the spectrum will be continous ?

and in that case, what is the orthonormality condition for eigenfunctions

[tex] <y_{n} |y_{m}>= \delta (n-m) [/tex]

where 'd' is dirac delta, as a generalization of discrete case of Kronecker delta. could someone put an example ? (since all the cases from QM i know the spectrum is discrete) thankx

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just look up spectral analysis, please, Jose. C* algebras, stuff like that. (I seem to remember making this request a lot in the past - have you followed that advice?)

The orthonormality condition is precisely what it ought to be - two things are orthogonal if their (inner) product is 0. I don't know what makes you think that Dirac deltas have anything to do with taking an inner product (which by definition is just a complex number, not a distribution).

This is basic functional analysis, and not differential equations anyway - one of the first things you learn is that there is, I seem to think, a bijection between (arbitrary) compact subsets of C and commutative C* algebras. Perhaps I have missed some hypotheses, but that is a well known result.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  4. Jul 21, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this is a physics question (rather than a math question) then yes, physicists indeed use the Dirac delta to represent the inner product between states in a space spanned by continuous eigenkets (but then, physicists do a lot of things that make mathematicians cringe). A reason for this choice is that it provides a working extension to the completeness condition. I've never seen a rigorous development for this though.

If you want to use produce some new math, I strongly advise against starting from physics.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?