Can a spy satellite read the house number on your mailbox?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Plasmosis1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Plasmosis1
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
If the spy satellite, which is 200km above the earth, uses a concave mirror 2m in diameter and yellow light at 600 nm find the answer. show all formulas and work to support the correct solution. with that resolving power what could the spy satellite actually see? (ignore variations in air density and temperature.)

The only formulas that I can see as being useful are: thetamin = 1.22*Wavelength/distance (Rayleigh criterion) and 1/focus =1/object+1/image

Quite frankly I don't think there is enough information to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Plasmosis1 said:
The only formulas that I can see as being useful are: thetamin = 1.22*Wavelength/distance (Rayleigh criterion)
"Distance" should be "size of the object" (or, alternatively, size of the mirror).
You can use that formula to calculate everything in this problem.