Can a stable nucleus ever spontaneously become (temporarily) unstable?

In summary: This means that a stable nucleus, like carbon-12, cannot spontaneously become unstable and undergo decay processes. This is due to the fact that the trigger for decay in unstable nuclei involves quantum vacuum fluctuations, which provide the activation energy required. Additionally, any attempt to temporarily 'excite' a stable nucleus into an unstable state would result in a decrease in entropy, making it unlikely for this process to occur. Therefore, a stable nucleus will remain stable forever, unless acted upon by an external force such as proton decay.
asimov42
Hi folks,

I have what might be a naive question about the decay of unstable nuclei. I've recently been reading about various decay processes (e.g. beta decay, electron capture etc.).

Specifically, I'm wondering if it is ever possible for a stable nucleus (say, carbon-12 or any other stable nucleus) to spontaneously become unstable, and then to undergo further decay processes (e.g. a different sequence, resulting in, say, a lighter element)? I understand that the trigger for decay in an unstable nucleus involves quantum vacuum fluctuations, which provide the activation energy required, and that moves towards the ground state result in an increase in entropy. I guess I'm asking if there are vacuum fluctuations large enough to temporarily 'excite' a nucleus into an unstable state, such that an alternative sequence of decay processes can occur (resulting in a larger final entropy). Would the required initial decrease in entropy (to put the nucleus in an excited state) prevent this from occurring? I.e. I would think that this type of process cannot run backwards, but I'm not sure?

Put differently: if we consider (hypothetically) an isolated, stable atom (with stable nucleus - again, e.g. carbon-12) floating alone in space, will it remain stable forever? (ignoring the possibility of proton decay etc...)

Thanks all. Apologies if my question isn't very clear.

J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stable nuclei are called stable precisely because they can't decay. Uranium 235 can decay because you can find two or more nuclei that, combined, have the right number of neutrons and protons and weigh less than the original nucleus. There is a potential barrier that keeps it from decaying immediately and a quantum fluctuation is required for the nucleus to decay.

Carbon-12 is stable because there's nothing it could decay to. Any combination of decay products would be heavier than the original nucleus. Law of conservation of energy prevents carbon-12 from decaying.

And indeed, an unstable nucleus is stable until the moment it decays.

1. Can a stable nucleus ever become unstable without any external influence?

Yes, in rare cases, a stable nucleus can undergo a process called radioactive decay where it spontaneously emits particles and energy, becoming temporarily unstable before reaching a more stable state.

2. What factors can cause a stable nucleus to become temporarily unstable?

The most common factor is the imbalance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. If a nucleus has too many or too few of these particles, it can become unstable and undergo radioactive decay. Other factors such as high energy collisions or extreme temperatures can also contribute to instability.

3. How long does a temporarily unstable nucleus last?

The duration of instability varies depending on the type of radioactive decay. Some unstable nuclei can last for fractions of a second, while others can have half-lives of thousands or even millions of years.

4. Can a temporarily unstable nucleus become stable again?

Yes, after undergoing radioactive decay, the unstable nucleus will reach a more stable state. In some cases, this may involve multiple decay processes until the nucleus reaches a stable configuration.

5. Is it possible for a stable nucleus to become permanently unstable?

No, once a nucleus reaches a stable configuration, it will remain stable unless influenced by external factors such as high energy collisions or extreme temperatures. However, a previously stable nucleus can become temporarily unstable through the process of radioactive decay.