Can a Student with 73 Marks Place Among 18 Candidates?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter waptrick
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
waptrick
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure if there is insufficient information or I may possibly overlooking something.

But here goes...

Students have been put in a range of percentages according to their marks obtained in Statistics.

1 student in 85-90
1 student in 80-84
5 students in 75-79
11 students in 70-74

If a student has an average of 73 where would the student place among the 18 students? Also what is the probability that the student is in the top 10 candidates?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
waptrick said:
I'm not sure if there is insufficient information or I may possibly overlooking something.

But here goes...

Students have been put in a range of percentages according to their marks obtained in Statistics.

1 student in 85-90
1 student in 80-84
5 students in 75-79
11 students in 70-74

If a student has an average of 73 where would the student place among the 18 students? Also what is the probability that the student is in the top 10 candidates?
You understand that 73 is between 70 and 74 don't you? So the student is one of the 11 students in the "70- 74" group. There are 5+ 1+ 1= 7 students above 74 so 3 of the student in "70-74" are in the "top 10". Knowing only that the student is in the bottom 11, the probability this student is in the top 10 is 3/11.
 
Sorry I was probably not as clear as I should have been. The original question was where would a student with a mark of 73 place among the 18 students? As in what number out of the 18 students
 
All you know is that this person's score is 73 which means he is one of the 11 students who had scores between 70 and 75. We cannot know which of those 11 students he/she is so we cannot say exactly where he/she stands.