Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a vulcan study quantum mechanics ?

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1

Monocerotis

Gold Member

I don't think it's possible for a vulcan to study quantum mechanics, they would probably go insane, like Tuvix.

What do you think ?

se7nd1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Probably.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Maybe, except that Tuvix is a combination Vulcan / Telaxian, both and yet neither.

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
    I think that since they had already figured out faster than light travel before the "First Contact" movie they probably had a pretty firm grasp of quantum mechanics.

6. Oct 20, 2009 #5
    I always did wonder how the transporter worked.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    I think that the transporter is a placebo effect. You become so convinced that you are going to be there that you are literally already there. :smile:

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I don't know, they could have easily come up with a more complete theory in the first place and avoided the mess of QM alltogether.

9. Oct 21, 2009 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the words of Michael Okuda when asked how the Heisenberg compensator worked, "Very well, thank you."

10. Oct 21, 2009 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has a built in Heisenberg compensator.

Jokes aside. Krauss "The Physics of Star Trek" is actually quite a good book. The transporter is covered in one of chapters. And one side-effect of reading it is that you do learn something about real physics as well.
    Also the "Heisenberg compensator" is actually quite a clever device.
    Has anyone ever seen it mentioned in a QM course*?

*Not as a "real" device of course, but explaining why one would/wouldn't be needed for the transporter sounds like a fun assignment.

Edit: Janus was faster...

11. Oct 21, 2009 #10
    I remember reading that when I was eleven. At the time, I figured there were some sort of electromagneic fields or something that picked apart a person's molecules based on a scan of their body and then reassmbled them in exactly the same way far apart. Of course, at the time I didn't know anything about quantum mechanics. But if you wanted to take a fictional guess, maybe the heisenberg compensator figures out some margin of error whereas the reassembled person will be close enough to the classical person that it doesn't matter or something. I don't know, I'm not a physicist, and also the device isn't real.

It did occur to me when I was thinking about it that if this did exist, it would pretty much be the most advanced thing ever.

12. Oct 22, 2009 #11
    Spock: "I think Quantum Mechanics are very illogical."

Heisenberg: "Oh yeah! Well you have pointy ears..."

Spock: "Never mind."

13. Oct 22, 2009 #12

Ugh, terrible episode.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook