Can a W boson decay to a u quark and anti-s quark?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ajihood
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boson Decay W boson
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Ajihood
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Can a W boson decay to a u and anti s or does it have to decay to a quark and anti-quark of the same generation?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The weak couplings are determined by the CKM matrix, which mixes the down type quarks between generations. So the [tex]W^+[/tex] can decay to [tex]u\bar{d}[/tex], [tex]u\bar{s}[/tex], [tex]u\bar{b}[/tex], as well as the corresponding channels involving the charm quark.
 
Thanks for that fzero. I thought it could because of the CKM matrix but I have only seen examples of where it decays to u and anti d etc so I was a little worried that there may be more there I haven't learned yet. Thanks again :)