Can a Higgs boson decay into two top quarks off-shell?

In summary, there is no reason to believe that a very off-shell Higgs boson decay to 2 top quarks is not possible, but it is very unlikely due to the large background noise.
Malamala
Hello! I haven't really seen a feynman diagram with a higgs boson decaying to a top-anti top quark pair. The mass of a top pair is much higher than the Higgs mass on shell, but is there any reason why we can't have a Higgs boson (very) off-shell decay to 2 top quarks. The probability of that happening must be quite low, but is there any reason to not happen at all? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you make this very off-shell Higgs boson? You seem to be confusing the Higgs being off-shell with the top being off-shell.

When you calculate the amplitude for a process like ##q\bar{q}\to t\bar{t}##, where the q's should stand for any light quarks in the proton, then you also have a tree-level diagram with only one Higgs-propagator, that contributes to the full amplitude (though it will be strongly suppressed).

But you would usually not call this a "Higgs decay".

Likes mfb
We only call processes "decays" if the parent particle is real, i.e. on-shell (within its decay width of course).

Technically the process via a virtual Higgs goes into the top pair production cross section, in practice it's completely negligible as you can produce them directly from two gluons.
People do look for s-channel virtual Higgs bosons elsewhere, for example in the two photon or four lepton final states, as this cross section is related to the Higgs width. Here is a CMS measurement for example.

Likes arivero
Vanadium 50 said:
How do you make this very off-shell Higgs boson? You seem to be confusing the Higgs being off-shell with the top being off-shell.
I am not sure I understand what you mean. If you produce an off shell higgs boson with a ##q^2 = 2 m_t##, the higgs can in principle decay to 2 on shell top quarks. Isn't that right? I am not sure what you mean by off-shell top in this case.

Reggid said:
When you calculate the amplitude for a process like ##q\bar{q}\to t\bar{t}##, where the q's should stand for any light quarks in the proton, then you also have a tree-level diagram with only one Higgs-propagator, that contributes to the full amplitude (though it will be strongly suppressed).

But you would usually not call this a "Higgs decay".
Thanks a lot! Right, it is not really a decay, I was just wondering if it can happen at all (even if strongly suppressed). This answered my question.

Malamala said:
I was just wondering if it can happen at all (even if strongly suppressed).

Everything that is possible can happen, but it will be supressed due to two top-propagators and phase space of at least 4 particles. Also, the background would be huge, considering the amount of top and anti-tops being produced from gluon-gluon fusion etc without an intermediate Higgs... Your signal would be completely blurred

Likes vanhees71

1. Can a Higgs boson decay into two top quarks off-shell?

Yes, it is possible for a Higgs boson to decay into two top quarks off-shell. This means that the top quarks are not directly produced by the decay of the Higgs boson, but rather they are created indirectly through the exchange of virtual particles.

2. Why is it important to study the decay of the Higgs boson into two top quarks off-shell?

Studying the decay of the Higgs boson into two top quarks off-shell can provide valuable insights into the properties of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles. It can also help us better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

3. How is the decay of the Higgs boson into two top quarks off-shell detected?

The decay of the Higgs boson into two top quarks off-shell is detected through the analysis of data from particle collider experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists look for specific patterns and signatures in the data that indicate the presence of the decay process.

4. What are the implications of the Higgs boson decaying into two top quarks off-shell?

The implications of the Higgs boson decaying into two top quarks off-shell are still being studied and researched. It could potentially provide evidence for new physics beyond the Standard Model, or it could confirm our current understanding of particle physics.

5. Are there any other possible decays of the Higgs boson?

Yes, the Higgs boson can also decay into other particles such as W and Z bosons, photons, and fermions. The different decay channels provide valuable information about the properties of the Higgs boson and its interactions with other particles.