Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can %age uncertainty in value ever be greater than 100?

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    We were given an experiment in which the %age uncertainty of majority of students happened to be greater than 100?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sit in the seat of an off road vehicle and try to draw a graph of a Hooke's Law experiment whilst on the move. How bad could it get?

4. May 4, 2017 #3
    Never did that. You tried it? What was the uncertainty?

5. May 4, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never did it but can't you imagine the sort of results?
    If you did the experiment for long enough and took enough readings, you could end up with a pretty good value for the spring constant. Averaging (I.e.data filtering) can be a powerful tool.

6. May 4, 2017 #5
    Why the uncertainty can not be greater than 100%. Prove it logically?

7. May 4, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What if the expected result in an experiment is zero? What is the percent uncertainty then?

8. May 4, 2017 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand why you are asking the question. You already have data in front of you where the relative uncertainty is greater than 100%, so clearly using that data you can demonstrate that the relative uncertainty can be greater than 100%.

Since you already have data showing that it can be greater than 100%, what is your real question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted