1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can %age uncertainty in value ever be greater than 100?

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    We were given an experiment in which the %age uncertainty of majority of students happened to be greater than 100?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sit in the seat of an off road vehicle and try to draw a graph of a Hooke's Law experiment whilst on the move. How bad could it get?

4. May 4, 2017 #3
    Never did that. You tried it? What was the uncertainty?

5. May 4, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never did it but can't you imagine the sort of results?
    If you did the experiment for long enough and took enough readings, you could end up with a pretty good value for the spring constant. Averaging (I.e.data filtering) can be a powerful tool.

6. May 4, 2017 #5
    Why the uncertainty can not be greater than 100%. Prove it logically?

7. May 4, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What if the expected result in an experiment is zero? What is the percent uncertainty then?

8. May 4, 2017 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand why you are asking the question. You already have data in front of you where the relative uncertainty is greater than 100%, so clearly using that data you can demonstrate that the relative uncertainty can be greater than 100%.

Since you already have data showing that it can be greater than 100%, what is your real question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted