Reported uncertainties for time and distance in physics experiment

fog37
TL;DR Summary
Reported uncertainties for time and distance in physics experiment used to create error bars in scatterplot
Hello,
I was looking at my physics lab manual... There is a table reporting time and distance data which were both measured and collected (see below). My understanding is that the uncertainty for different and measured time instants should be the same because the time was measured with the same instrument (say a stopwatch) which determines the instrumental uncertainty. However, the 3rd column shows different uncertainty values for different ##t## values.. The manual does not explain why. Those different uncertainties could be relative uncertainties, i.e. the instrument uncertainty divided by the measured value...
Same goes for the distance: if we used a meter stick, the conservative uncertainty should be half the least count, i.e. 0.5 mm or 0.05cm. So the 4th column is the relative uncertainty.

These relative uncertainties are used to create error bars...Is that a good and standard procedure?

1702579551262.png

1702579581255.png

Another table I found shows uncertainties that are bigger than 1 and are different for different t values (same goes for distance). How are those uncertainties calculated?

1702580201674.png

Attachments

• 1702580196604.png
    1702580196604.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 24
Physics news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
My understanding is that the uncertainty for different and measured time instants should be the same because the time was measured with the same instrument (say a stopwatch) which determines the instrumental uncertainty.
So, is the stopwatch clicked by a mechanical device with only slight lag time variations or by a human with, depending on the length of time, enormously varying lag times?

1. What are reported uncertainties in a physics experiment?

Reported uncertainties in a physics experiment refer to the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is believed to lie. These uncertainties are typically expressed as a margin of error or a confidence interval.

2. Why is it important to include uncertainties in a physics experiment report?

Including uncertainties in a physics experiment report is crucial because it provides crucial information about the reliability and accuracy of the measurements. It allows other scientists to assess the validity of the results and make informed decisions based on the reported data.

3. How are uncertainties for time and distance calculated in a physics experiment?

Uncertainties for time and distance in a physics experiment are typically calculated based on the precision of the measuring instruments used, the method of measurement, and any systematic errors that may have occurred during the experiment. These uncertainties are then reported along with the measured values.

4. What is the difference between random and systematic uncertainties in a physics experiment?

Random uncertainties in a physics experiment arise from the inherent variability in measurements and can be reduced by taking multiple readings and calculating the average. Systematic uncertainties, on the other hand, stem from flaws in the experimental setup or measurement technique and can affect all measurements in the same way.

5. How can uncertainties in a physics experiment be minimized?

Uncertainties in a physics experiment can be minimized by using high-quality measuring instruments, taking multiple readings, calibrating equipment regularly, and identifying and eliminating sources of systematic errors. Additionally, following proper experimental procedures and conducting thorough data analysis can help reduce uncertainties in the final results.