Can an EE or ME degree lead to a career in aerospace engineering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
pioneerboy
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Hello there,

I have a few questions concerning how the choice between electrical and mechanical engineering influences one's future career if going into the aerospace branch - if possible at all.
Can you do a Master or graduate in aerospace engineering with an undergraduate degree in one or the other? What's the difference between aerospace and aeronautics engineering anyway?
Assuming holding an aerospace Master degree, how would an undergraduate degree in either EE or ME influence and shape your duties and expertise in an aerospace workplace?
Can you be involved in propulsion stuff with having an EE BSc and aerospace Master? I read in a thread that one can add one or to semesters of aerospace undergraduate lectures after an ME BSc, resulting in holding both, an ME and Aerospace BSc. Is this also true for EE?

Thank you for your answers and information.

Luzius
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what field of aerospace are you interested in?

meaning do you just want to work on something that goes on an airplane, or do you want to do control theory, fluid dynamics, wing design, motor design, communication, electronics design, etc
 
Ah, ok. Actually, I'm most interested in propulsion...so probably fluid dynamics. An additional question if you allow: I have a half finished physics undergraduate in my pocket (had to quit, but the credits might be useful for something[?])...if I study now EE (because it allows me to build electronics stuff like a radiotelescope, CCD electronics, and electromagnetic levitation control), but would like to be able to work on rocket propulsion as well...would there be possibilities or would I have already lost by choosing EE over ME?

You're helping me much with your insights!
 
Last edited:
pioneerboy said:
Ah, ok. Actually, I'm most interested in propulsion...so probably fluid dynamics. An additional question if you allow: I have a half finished physics undergraduate in my pocket (had to quit, but the credits might be useful for something[?])...if I study now EE (because it allows me to build electronics stuff like a radiotelescope, CCD electronics, and electromagnetic levitation control), but would like to be able to work on rocket propulsion as well...would there be possibilities or would I have already lost by choosing EE over ME?

You're helping me much with your insights!

You'd be able to work on electric/plasma propulsion with the right sort of EE background; the type of propulsion that makes heavy lift launch vehicles and such is out of the deph of an EE and is really more in line with an ME background since they have the expertise in fluid dynamics and thermodynamics that the EE typically doesn't. There's loads of communications work and electronics (and associated programming) for EE's to do in the space industry though, some of which you've mentioned with your radio electronics; lots of EE's focus on the building of sub-systems of satellites and their associated ground systems as well.
 
like clope said you would probably be better off going ME if you were interested in AE for a masters degree with a concentration in propulsion.
 
And it would not help to do the ME lectures "thermodynamics" and "fluid dynamics" in addition to the curriculum of EE?
 
donpacino said:
like clope said you would probably be better off going ME if you were interested in AE for a masters degree with a concentration in propulsion.

There are graduate programs in computational fluid mechanics that would be useful for someone who is interested in propulsion.