Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can an inviscid flow rotational? Potential Flow?

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    Hi all.
    It seems to me that the origin of vorticity comes from viscosity, right?
    So, if a flow is inviscid, can it be rotational?

For the example of a shear flow, U[y] = k*y, the vorticity a non-zero constant, k, everywhere, right? And we actually did not consider whether the flow is viscous or not when considering this shear flow. If the flow is inviscid, the vorticity is still constant and non-zero, right? So, it seems that an inviscid flow can still be rotational, right?

So, in the shear flow case, what is the difference between having the fluid being viscous and non-viscous? If the viscosity being zero but vorticity being non-zero, that means there is angular momentum (from non-zero vorticity) but no shear stress? Since the coefficient of viscosity is zero? It seems rather non-intuitive to me...We can have a zero shear stress but non-zero vorticity or angular momentum?

Also, why a potential flow must be inviscid? can it be just irrotational? Is that a viscous flow must be rotational?

Please kindly address my confusion. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2
    Good questions and all over my head, I'll be watching for an intelligent reply. You did get me thinking about Tesla turbines at 8:30 in the morning, now I'll get nothing done the rest of the day.:cool:

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    Please help.
    What is the difference between a viscous shear flow and an inviscid shear flow?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?