Can an M.Eng (non-thesis) degree lead to a PhD in structural engineering?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phd Thesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
CivilSigma
Messages
227
Reaction score
58
Hello,

In general, if you want to do a phD. you require a MASc., at least here in Canada.

However, because I am eager and really wanting to start my career in structural engineering, I want to pursue M.Eng (a 1 year professional degree, no thesis).

My question is, in your experience, has anyone with a M.Eng (non thesis option) been able to go on and do a phD?

Thank you,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's possible. Students have done this in the US as the MS degree is considered a stepping stone to the PhD. The problem comes in with how much time has elapsed and the overlap of your MS with your desired PhD path which means taking/retaking some courses to get back up to speed academically.

Why not seek out someone in academia either at graduate admissions of better yet in the department you are interested into find out what you'd need to do to get into a program? I don't think the thesis option helps or hurts here.

I figure your first step will have to be a good grade on the GRE or equivalent in Canada.