Can an OP Deleting his/her Thread?

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an OP (original poster) deleting their thread and the options for doing so. It is mentioned that only Mentors and Administrators have the ability to delete a thread and that members can only edit or delete their own posts within a 24-hour window. It is suggested to contact a Mentor or use the Report button to request a thread to be deleted. The conversation also touches on a potential substitute for the gender-specific pronouns "his" and "her" and concludes with the use of the word "hum." The Mentor in the conversation expresses their preference for receiving a Report rather than letting the issue sit. Ultimately, it is clarified that an OP cannot delete their thread and the conversation ends with a
mbrmbrg
[SOLVED] Can an OP Deleting his/her Thread?

The subject line says it all.

Case in point: earlier today, I had a computer bump/glitch and accidentally posted the same question twice (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=219755"), and I didn't have the option of "delete this post."

So... is there a way for an OP to delete his/her thread (especially if there is only that one OP)?

(Also, is there a non-clunky substitute for his/her in this case other than one's, which is grammatically incorrect in this case?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, only Mentors and Administrator have the permission to delete a thread. Members are restricted to editing and deleting posts, and there is a 24 hr window on that.

One should contact the Mentor assigned to the particular forum, or use the Report button on the OP and request thread to be deleted and why.

In the case at hand, the threads can be merged and redundant posts deleted.

Last edited:
OK, I'll keep that in mind for next time.
As a mentor, I put it to you: would you rather receive such a Report or just let it sit? (In other words, which option will waste people's time the least?)

mbrmbrg said:
So... is there a way for an OP to deletet his/her thread (especially if there is only that one OP)?

Nope. I merged your threads, though.

(Also, is there a non-clunky substitute for his/her in this case other than one's, which is grammatically incorrect in this case?)

I suggest "hum." As in his / her / hum.

It actually rolls off the tongue quite nicely in many situations, like "Yeah, I sent that person a scathing email this morning, that'll show hum."

Unfortunately, most people think I am crazy.

- Warren

mbrmbrg said:
OK, I'll keep that in mind for next time.
As a mentor, I put it to you: would you rather receive such a Report or just let it sit? (In other words, which option will waste people's time the least?)
Feel free to report it for prompt action.

chroot said:
Nope. I merged your threads, though.
Thanks!

I suggest "hum." As in his / her / hum.

It actually rolls off the tongue quite nicely in many situations, like "Yeah, I sent that person a scathing email this morning, that'll show hum."

Unfortunately, most people think I am crazy.

- Warren

:smile: :smile: :smile:
I'm sitting in the computer room, next to my roommate. Now she wants to know why I have a spray alert... while I'm reading something posted on that physics forum of mine?

Astronuc said:
Feel free to report it for prompt action.

got it.
thenks!

Related to Can an OP Deleting his/her Thread?

1. Can an OP delete their own thread?

Yes, an OP (original poster) has the ability to delete their own thread.

2. Will deleting a thread also delete all of its comments?

Yes, deleting a thread will also delete all of its comments along with it.

3. Is there a time limit for when an OP can delete their thread?

It depends on the platform or forum where the thread was posted. Some may allow for unlimited deletion, while others may have a time limit in place.

4. Can a thread be restored after it has been deleted by the OP?

In most cases, once a thread has been deleted by the OP, it cannot be restored. However, some platforms may have a backup system in place that allows for restoration in certain circumstances.

5. Will deleting a thread affect its visibility in search results?

Yes, deleting a thread will most likely remove it from search results, as it will no longer be accessible on the platform or forum where it was originally posted.