Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can an OP Deleting his/her Thread?

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Can an OP Deleting his/her Thread?

The subject line says it all.

Case in point: earlier today, I had a computer bump/glitch and accidentally posted the same question twice (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=219755 and https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=219753), and I didn't have the option of "delete this post."

So... is there a way for an OP to delete his/her thread (especially if there is only that one OP)?

(Also, is there a non-clunky substitute for his/her in this case other than one's, which is grammatically incorrect in this case?)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

AFAIK, only Mentors and Administrator have the permission to delete a thread. Members are restricted to editing and deleting posts, and there is a 24 hr window on that.

One should contact the Mentor assigned to the particular forum, or use the Report button on the OP and request thread to be deleted and why.

In the case at hand, the threads can be merged and redundant posts deleted.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    OK, I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    As a mentor, I put it to you: would you rather receive such a Report or just let it sit? (In other words, which option will waste people's time the least?)
  5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope. I merged your threads, though.

I suggest "hum." As in his / her / hum.

It actually rolls off the tongue quite nicely in many situations, like "Yeah, I sent that person a scathing email this morning, that'll show hum."

Unfortunately, most people think I am crazy.

- Warren
  6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Feel free to report it for prompt action.
  7. Mar 4, 2008 #6

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    I'm sitting in the computer room, next to my roommate. Now she wants to know why I have a spray alert... while I'm reading something posted on that physics forum of mine?
  8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?